1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Navier Stokes Equation - Flow of waves

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Show that for an incompressible flow the velocity potential satisfies ##\nabla^2 \phi = 0##. Show further the relation for the potential to be ## \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} + \frac{\nabla \phi \dot \nabla \phi}{2} + \frac{p}{\rho} + gz = const.##
    (b)Write out the boundary conditions on velocity and show ##\phi$## is of the form: ## \phi = -\frac{\omega n_0}{k} cos(kx-\omega t) \frac{cosh kz}{sinh kH}## subject to ## \omega^2 = gk \space tanh \space (kH)##
    (c) How does the frequency of the waves vary after the boat is gone?

29nyz6d.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)

For an irrotational flow, ## \nabla \cdot \vec u = 0## so this means that velocity can be written as gradient of some potential ## u = \nabla \phi##.

Therefore ## \nabla \cdot \vec u = \nabla^2 \phi = 0##.

Navier stokes equation is given by:
    [tex] \frac{\partial \vec u}{\partial t} + (\vec u \cdot \nabla) \vec u + \frac{1}{\rho} \nabla p + g \vec k = \nu \nabla^2 \vec u [/tex]

Using the identity and ## \nabla^2 \vec u = 0 ##, ## \nabla \times \vec u \times \vec u = 0## I get the answer.

Part (b)

The boundary condition is velocity at ##z=0## is zero (non-slip).

I don't think this question wants me to simply substitute the given form of ##\phi## to verify it is right. I am expected to derive it.

Substituting, I get
    [tex] Z \frac{\partial X}{\partial t} + \frac{ (Z\nabla X + X \nabla Z) \cdot (Z\nabla X + X \nabla Z) }{2} + \frac{p}{\rho} + gz = const. [/tex]

This leads to nowhere. Any idea how to proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2
  4. Jan 13, 2015 #3
    Any help for part (b)??

5. Jan 16, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted