Should I pursue a master's degree in jet engine R&D or stay employed?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ank_gl
Messages
741
Reaction score
0
Its been almost 2 years since college & I am in my 3rd job(8 months each), or 5th(if i consider 5 days also), courtesy recession. It really messed up my career plans. First two were completely into project management & I had to get out of 'em. After more than a year, i got into what i wanted. I am in jet engine R&D now & i am loving it, no paper work, no silly meetings, all day i spend in the assembly hanger taking apart anything & everything i get my hands on.

The problem: I always wanted to go for post graduation. After college, I couldn't. Now when I think about going for it, I feel insecure. I don't know what the job scenario is like after a masters degree. How necessary/beneficial a phd is? The kind of work I am into is defense related, i am unsure how other countries see somebody coming from the defense background of a foreign country ie the job opportunities.

I ll be taking GRE this September & plan for Fall 2012. It is still more than a year to go, but it is just too dicey if I would want to leave job.

I really don't know if I am looking for help or suggestions. It is sort of a confusion on how to proceed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do both at same time?

Go to graduate school part time, and keep your day job.

Talk to your manager, they might allow you flexible working hours.

Many schools have evening or late afternoon classes. Some have early morning classes. Work around your work schedule. It is no problem if you go part time.

This is what I would do.
 
ah, about that. I should have mentioned, my bad.

I am not in US & i would not prefer to go for higher education in my country since, let's just say, its not good enough.