Navigating Life with an MMO Addict: Seeking Advice

• Thread starter chayced
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, her MMO addiction is causing problems in her personal life, and there is no easy solution. Her husband wants her to find other ways to spend her time, but she may not be willing to give it up completely.
Math Jeans said:
I have also found through personal experience that it is very easy to suddenly drop a game should something particularly bad happen to your character, if you get my drift :wink::wink:.
Sabotage would be viewed as a personal attack. It's below the board and I wouldn't consider it as an option. If the game is threatening the relationship or the children's development, and no other method works then setting parental controls or stopping payment of the bill on your credit card would be better options. Sneaking around destroying things is pretty much the death knell for trust.

chayced, does your wife have any friends or family that she maintains relationships with in reality? If she doesn't then she needs some. Perhaps arranging some kind of regular social gathering would help her make friends outside the game and reduce her reliance upon it. Think about a neighborhood pot luck, invite some friends from work and their spouses and children over for dinner. Keep in mind that this game is her main social network. If you want to limit it or remove it then it needs a replacement.

Your concern that you feel neglected is more important than this game. It could lead to serious relationship problems. If this is the case then she needs to know it, and the sooner the better. Tell her clearly what your needs are while being considerate of hers as well. Be helpful in arranging that both your needs are met. Make it fun and cooperative. You can be insistant without making demands or being angry. Think of it as flirting with your wife. Let her know that you love her and want to spend more time with her even if its something as simple as dancing in the kitchen or snuggling on the front porch. It's all foreplay and makes her feel desirable. If it's done right the game doesn't stand a chance.

The development of the children is probably the biggest concern here. Russ is right that they need more than just regular meals. They have each other to play with so that helps, but mom should be an influence in their life and not just the person that cleans up after them and prepares meals. I don't know if that is the case, and I know nothing about raising children so I'll leave it there. It can be a very personal issue. If it is an issue then keep in mind it is for the sake of the children and not a tool for leverage in another argument.

Ok, I've said too much already. Time for me to spend a few hours splattering zombie brains on some virtual scenery. I used to play MMOs, but I got tired of dealing with all the inventory and perturbed players. So I didn't know that the kick ability doesn't stop a druid from shapeshifting. So what! At least I know how to spell loser and rogue. That gets old real fast.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was kidding about that part. My only suggestion was the vacation thing.

Huckleberry said:
Sabotage would be viewed as a personal attack. It's below the board and I wouldn't consider it as an option. If the game is threatening the relationship or the children's development, and no other method works then setting parental controls or stopping payment of the bill on your credit card would be better options. Sneaking around destroying things is pretty much the death knell for trust.

Remember this is my wife and not my child. About all I can do is cancel our Internet service and even that will be seen as a personal attack. I tried using a parental control program but she hated it and resented me for it. When forced to control her addiction she acts like she has complete control of herself just long enough for the controls to be lifted, and then she accuses me of treating her like a child when she is a grown woman and can control herself. Then she goes back to her normal routine.

Huckleberry said:
chayced, does your wife have any friends or family that she maintains relationships with in reality? If she doesn't then she needs some. Perhaps arranging some kind of regular social gathering would help her make friends outside the game and reduce her reliance upon it.

We have been living in our town for two years now and only know a small handful of people. As nice as it would be to make new friends, it is quite difficult to get out anywhere with three kids. Also it doesn't help that her game is the biggest thing she talks about.

Huckleberry said:
The development of the children is probably the biggest concern here. Russ is right that they need more than just regular meals.

In my wife's defence she spends about 5 hours playing after the kids go to bed. From 8pm to 1am is her gaming time. She also spends around 4 hours playing during the rest of the day, so she does really spend time with the kids, it's just when she is online during the day she is not that attentive. It used to be worse, but we compromised and now she gets to have her designated play times during the day as long as she gets stuff done during the rest of the time. So I guess the real loser here is me since the only time I can possibly spend with her without the kids is eaten by the game.

Thanks for the input. Marriage counseling is sounding like the best option at this point.