Navigating the Path to Cryobiology: Advice for College Students

In summary: Thanks for understanding.Yes. You can delete the one in Career Guidance if you can. Thanks for understanding.
ambrosia
I am currently a college student and am very interested in becoming a cryobiologist someday. Particularly, I would like to work on organ preservation or something similar. I just have a few questions regarding what path I should take to get there. Any advice by scientists working in this field would be greatly appreciated.

1) I am having trouble deciding between a major in biology or biochemistry. I am contemplating on whether to pursue a double major in biology/biochemistry. I know both fields pertain to cryobiology. What exactly do biochemists in this field do? What do biologists do?
2) Unfortunately, there are no cryobiology labs where I live. Until I can get to a lab that centers more around cryobiology, what kind of research and/or lab experience would you suggest I take a look at?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently a college student and am very interested in becoming a cryobiologist someday. Particularly, I would like to work on organ preservation or something similar. I just have a few questions regarding what path I should take to get there. Any advice by scientists working in this field would be greatly appreciated.

1) I am having trouble deciding between a major in biology or biochemistry. I am contemplating on whether to pursue a double major in biology/biochemistry. I know both fields pertain to cryobiology. What exactly do biochemists in this field do? What do biologists do?
2) Unfortunately, there are no cryobiology labs where I live. Until I can get to a lab that centers more around cryobiology, what kind of research and/or lab experience would you suggest I take a look at?

Thanks.

Last edited:
That's a difficult question. I'm English so my university experience was different (no majors just one degree) but I'll try to answer with the best advice possible. I did straight biology, however these days a huge component of biology is biochemistry. By the last year of my degree I couldn't tell what modules I was doing were biology and what modules were biochem.

When it comes to cryobiology there are important biochemical processes that one should understand (the effect on proteins, lipid membranes, DNA etc) however you could also cover this in a biology course. Any biologist who works with cell culture is going to have to cover some basic cryobiology which involves creating appropriate freezing media, knowing what speed to freeze at etc.

I would suggest that what you do is ask at the universities you are interested in about the courses. If the biology course has a lot of focus on biochemistry cross over and cell biology it would be very useful for you. Don't be afraid to raise this question with the professors at the places you are applying to about cryobiology.

Thanks for the very useful information. It is much appreciated. BTW I think your degree in nanotechnology and regenerative medicine is totally badass. :)

Do you have any advice on looking for research opportunities as a college student?

ambrosia said:
Thanks for the very useful information. It is much appreciated. BTW I think your degree in nanotechnology and regenerative medicine is totally badass. :)

Do you have any advice on looking for research opportunities as a college student?

You've double posted this question in this forum and in the Career Guidance forum which is against PF rules.

ambrosia said:

Thanks.

You've posted this question in both this forum and in the Biology forum which is a violation of PF rules.

Hey sorry about that. Can I delete this thread and leave the other one open? The only reason I posted it twice is because there are not many cryobiologists out there and I thought I would reach more people if I posted in both forums. It won't happen again.

ambrosia said:
Hey sorry about that. Can I delete this thread and leave the other one open? The only reason I posted it twice is because there are not many cryobiologists out there and I thought I would reach more people if I posted in both forums. It won't happen again.

Yes. I would delete the one in Career Guidance if you can. You may have to ask the moderator to do it. Your best shot is in Biology if they allow it because of the reason you gave. I didn't report this.The worst that can happen is that they (the moderators) move it back here.

Last edited:
Will do. And thanks for the info. :)

This thread was double-posted in career guidance and biology. It belongs in career guidance. I've merged them and made sure the remaining thread was unlocked.

thanks!

ambrosia said:
Thankyou! I think so too

It really depends on the university. During my second year summer I enrolled in a summer science program where I was attached to a lab for three months, you can ask when you apply at places if they offer similar things to this.

What you could also do is search for degrees that include a year in industry, they're called sandwich degree's in the UK (not sure if you have them in the US). Basically you do two years of your degree then spend a year paid working at a company before coming back for your final year. One of my friends managed to do a year at a major pharma company and managed to acquire a lot of contacts, experience and money that was very useful for the rest of her degree.

Yes we do have something similar to what you mentioned. Over in the US it's called Co-op and is pretty much the same thing that you described. Unfortunately, my school has no Co-op program!

I still have a year or so before I think I should even apply for any type of position given my weak science background atm. I have a lot of time to think things through and do more research on potential positions in my area. So, many thanks brother. I wish you all the luck in discoveries that will benefit mankind. Maybe we'll even run into each other at a conference or something ten years down the road haha :).

ambrosia said:
Yes we do have something similar to what you mentioned. Over in the US it's called Co-op and is pretty much the same thing that you described. Unfortunately, my school has no Co-op program!

I still have a year or so before I think I should even apply for any type of position given my weak science background atm. I have a lot of time to think things through and do more research on potential positions in my area. So, many thanks brother. I wish you all the luck in discoveries that will benefit mankind. Maybe we'll even run into each other at a conference or something ten years down the road haha :).

Always keep your eyes open, every now and then there's always a lab or a professor prepared to take on a student for work experience. Good luck to you too, if we meet at a conference I promise you a drink! Can't say fairer than that.

In the end, the major doesn't really mean much especially considering how interdisciplinary science are nowaday. Just pick a major that you find the most interesting and the rest would work itself out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to that drink Ryan. :) Hunterbender, thanks for your advice. I agree with your statement about science being very interdisciplinary.

Last edited by a moderator:
ambrosia said:
I look forward to that drink Ryan. :) Ben, thanks for your advice. I agree with your statement about science being very interdisciplinary.

No problem, just keep in mind that whilst science is interdisciplinary when going for a job, PhD position etc it is best to have qualifications most relevant to the field.

What is cryobiology?

Cryobiology is the study of the effects of low temperatures on living organisms. This field of science focuses on the preservation of biological materials, such as cells, tissues, and organs, at extremely low temperatures for extended periods of time.

Why is cryobiology important?

Cryobiology has a wide range of applications in various industries, including medicine, agriculture, and biotechnology. It allows for the long-term storage and preservation of biological materials, which can be used for future research, transplants, and other medical procedures. It also plays a crucial role in the conservation of endangered species and the protection of biodiversity.

What skills are necessary for a career in cryobiology?

A strong background in biology, chemistry, and physics is essential for a career in cryobiology. Other important skills include attention to detail, critical thinking, and the ability to work well in a team. Knowledge of laboratory techniques and equipment, as well as computer skills, are also valuable for this field.

What are some potential challenges in the field of cryobiology?

One of the main challenges in cryobiology is finding ways to successfully preserve and revive biological materials without damaging their structure or function. This requires a deep understanding of the effects of low temperatures on different types of cells and tissues. Another challenge is the development of new and improved cryopreservation methods that are both effective and cost-efficient.

What advice do you have for college students interested in cryobiology?

My advice for college students interested in cryobiology is to take courses in biology, chemistry, and physics to build a strong foundation of knowledge. It is also important to gain hands-on experience in a laboratory setting through internships or research opportunities. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated on the latest advancements in cryobiology will also be beneficial for a future career in this field.