Necessity of God (Non-supernatural entities though)

• Thread starter Sorry!
  • Start date
In summary, the belief that god necessarily exists is based on the idea that the universe exists, and whatever completed the 'G-function' is god. This reasoning is circular, and using the term god incorrectly is a problem for many philosophers. However, religions often use circular reasoning to support their beliefs.
DaveC426913 said:
No. The phyics and math show that there was a beginning to this universe. The BB is pretty solid.

Though that still doesn't mean it was the beginning of everything...

This was my conclusion as well. Although I will never say one theory is absolutely correct, because I feel we will just never know what is the correctness of this god. Only that it is a necessary concept to have.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of a little, mean, insignificant god would create such a wicked, terror-ridden universe? Matrix-style or not, if one day we reach a capacity to initiate a Big Bang and manage to set the values of the physical constants with extreme precision(1:1 million trillions) for the subsequent development of stars, planets and life, I can't imagine us humans imposing so much cruelty over our hypothetical creations.

WaveJumper said:
What kind of a little, mean, insignificant god would create such a wicked, terror-ridden universe? Matrix-style or not, if one day we reach a capacity to initiate a Big Bang with all the physical constants just right for the subsequent development of stars, planets and life, I can't imagine us humans imposing so much cruelty over our hypothetical creations.

what makes you think that it would be humans that cause the existence of universes? In your theory here maybe new universes have already been created naturally from our universe. If humans could make a universe though, say in a glass box so we could see inside. Why do you assume we could even have a means to govern them? Why would we want to anyways?

Sorry! said:
what makes you think that it would be humans that cause the existence of universes?
Where did i say or imply that "humans cause the existence of universes"??

In your theory here maybe new universes have already been created naturally from our universe.

Huh??

If humans could make a universe though, say in a glass box so we could see inside. Why do you assume we could even have a means to govern them? Why would we want to anyways?
IMO it's not much different to having children. I'd love to create a world with 99.99% less terror and suffering.

Last edited:
Your word game of defining extraterrestials as cosmic rays is dishonest to yourself and I think an insult to my intelligence.

I didn't mean any insults. My chief complaint is the use of the word god to describe "that which completes the g-function", and the completion of the g-function as the universe coming into existence. The word "god" is well-established and has many connotations in the common usage, including implications of intelligence and the possession of a will.

The way you use god, I can't find the difference between saying "God exists" and "The universe had a beginning". It reminds me of Thomas Aquinas' argument that the universe must have had a first cause, which he called God. The difference being that Aquinas went on to "derive" the other characteristics of God from this definition.

As I said before, redefining god to be the the creator (using the term loosely) of the universe says nothing about god, and I don't think "god" is an apt name for it. I think that calling something god requires showing that it satisfies some of the characteristics commonly associated with god.

WaveJumper said:
Where did i say or imply that "humans cause the existence of universes"??

Huh??

IMO it's not much different to having children. I'd love to create a world with 99.99% less terror and suffering.

You said that humans would create a big bang. Since dave was speaking of how the big bang brought about our universe humans creating another big bang would supposededly bring about another universe. You go on to talk about how you would love to create a world etc... yet you say that you never said that humans cause the existence of another universe? So they will just make another earth? I don't understand what your trying to imply here at all then.

Aside from that you can pretend that if you personally created a universe that you would have powers in it but what I'm talking about in this thread has hardly anything to do with humans playing god. The only way I would see this as possible is if we make a universe in a computer run simulation, which we can't do right now or possibly ever. This has little to no effect on what I'm talking about in this thread either.

Even IF some outside intelligence decided to create our universe you can't go around assuming that they would think and act on compassion the same way you would. Clearly this isn't even true among our OWN intelligence species so why assume that another intelligence life outside our own existence would? (if I created life I would not try to influence them rather let them live and see what happens.)

Tibarn said:
I didn't mean any insults. My chief complaint is the use of the word god to describe "that which completes the g-function", and the completion of the g-function as the universe coming into existence. The word "god" is well-established and has many connotations in the common usage, including implications of intelligence and the possession of a will.

The way you use god, I can't find the difference between saying "God exists" and "The universe had a beginning". It reminds me of Thomas Aquinas' argument that the universe must have had a first cause, which he called God. The difference being that Aquinas went on to "derive" the other characteristics of God from this definition.

As I said before, redefining god to be the the creator (using the term loosely) of the universe says nothing about god, and I don't think "god" is an apt name for it. I think that calling something god requires showing that it satisfies some of the characteristics commonly associated with god.

God: a term variously conceived but used to apply to that which is considered to be a (or the) fundamental source of one's existence and/or values.

The Harper Collins Dictionary of Philosophy

I think my use of the term god in a philosophy forum falls within this category so I see no need to use other words or attempt to prove any qualities of whatever god is.
Sure Aquinas did that, so did Anselm, but I find that they assumed that after the initial conditions were met that the universe would not live on it's own and continue to evolve separate from that which brought it into existence. Not to say that it would not effect the universe today but it's effects would be limited and it would not 'intelligently' control the direction of this evolution aside from how the initial conditions were set.

Last edited:
Sorry! said:
You said that humans would create a big bang. Since dave was speaking of how the big bang brought about our universe humans creating another big bang would supposededly bring about another universe. You go on to talk about how you would love to create a world etc... yet you say that you never said that humans cause the existence of another universe?

You misunderstand. I never said humans caused the existence of any universe. Never. That would be the same as saying a pekingese caused the existence of the universe. I specifically said that humans MIGHT one day create a Big Bang. Might one day create a Big Bang is obviously NOT the same as humans created, which is past tense. It would be extremely speculative of me to try to "guess" what other intelligent "beings" that might have created our universe, would look like, let alone call them humans. HAHA ( I don't consider the taliban humans, let alone some very hypothetical beings from some our medium, like a universe, a brane, etc).

Aside from that you can pretend that if you personally created a universe that you would have powers in it but what I'm talking about in this thread has hardly anything to do with humans playing god.

What humans? The ones i speculated that in a few thousand years MIGHT create a Big Bang? Where did I even once said or implied that humans created(past tense!) the universe?
The only way I would see this as possible is if we make a universe in a computer run simulation, which we can't do right now or possibly ever.

If you don't "see" it now it hardly means that it will be impossible in a few millenia.
This has little to no effect on what I'm talking about in this thread either.

How is this irrelevant when in your OP you stated:

This G-function is namely bringing about the existence of the universe. Since to me the universe exist (may or may not be subjective but this is irrelevant I think) does it not follow that whatever had completed the G-function is god?

Weren't you speculating about the cause of the universe? If not, what was it you wanted to discuss?

Even IF some outside intelligence decided to create our universe you can't go around assuming that they would think and act on compassion the same way you would.
Well, i don't assume anything, a cruel god can do anything it wants, but it will still be perceived as little, mean and insignificant by the parents of the starving children or those born with malformations or incurable diseases. And by folks like me.

Clearly this isn't even true among our OWN intelligence species so why assume that another intelligence life outside our own existence would? (if I created life I would not try to influence them rather let them live and see what happens.)
About 70 000 years ago the population of Homo Sapiens in Africa was reduced to around 2000 due to disappearance of fresh water reserves. A lot of them died out, painfully(these were your ancestors). I don't think you are fit for god. Or at least not worthy of bearing the title God with all of its connotations.

Last edited:
I'm not going to bother breaking down your post at all the way you have done to mine.

1) Please point out where I used the word 'creat*ED*' in reference to humans and your post that you don't agree with...

Here I will do it for you:

pretend that if you personally created a universe that you would have powers in it

In your theory here maybe new universes have already been created naturally from our universe.

Neither of these imply that humans have created a universe already. The first one created is an adjective of universe IN THE HYPOTHETICAL FUTURE (pretend IF you COULD)
The second merely is me suggesting that it is possible that new universes have already been created naturally from our universe(not humans... this is just a plausible alternative to what you were saying... I'm pointing out that other universes can exist without any intelligent beings being involved.) As in our universe has sprouted a new universe; in a multiverse.

2) Odd that your speaking as if you are knowledgeable on grammar of past/present/future tenses when you in the same sentence say 'where did I even once said.' Just an observation.

3) I never said once that it would be impossible. If you've been following this thread I have never once said anything was impossible.

4) It is irrelevant to this thread because I am merely positing that the concept of god is a necessary one. I am not and had no intentions of ever bringing it further to characterize this god.

5) And you speak of God (capital g) and the connotations that the word brings so I'll just reference you to post #42

Last edited:
WaveJumper said:
I can't imagine us humans imposing so much cruelty over our hypothetical creations.
You haven't visited a chicken farm recently, have you?

Cruelty is relative. It is a concept that humans only have trouble applying to creatures that they can relate to.

DaveC426913 said:
You haven't visited a chicken farm recently, have you?

Cruelty is relative. It is a concept that humans only have trouble applying to creatures that they can relate to.

Yup, we are just an advanced breed of monkeys. Thanks for reminding me, i sometimes forget this little fact.

WaveJumper said:
Yup, we are just an advanced breed of monkeys. Thanks for reminding me, i sometimes forget this little fact.
I'm not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic. Either way, I'm still not sure what your point is. Do you disagree with what I said? Do you not think humans could/would/do treat inferior creatures abysmally?

No offense, but this thread reeks of stale ideas that have been beaten to death a million times here already... :uhh:

PS: For those using the word 'theory', please look up how to use it in a dictionary. It's damn annoying that people around here don't use the word properly by now.

Somehow started out questioning God, then went into Bing Bang theory, then went into creating our own universes. Whats odd ball thing will be the next topic of divergence?

Cyrus said:
Somehow started out questioning God, then went into Bing Bang theory, then went into creating our own universes. Whats odd ball thing will be the next topic of divergence?

Oh, you must be new here... Welcome to the Internets.

WaveJumper said:

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic. Either way, I'm still not sure what your point is. Do you disagree with what I said? Do you not think humans could/would/do treat inferior creatures abysmally?

I agreed with your statement that "Cruelty is relative. It is a concept that humans only have trouble applying to creatures that they can relate to". My example would show that monkeys(or most other animals) would not kill their own kind and killing animals for food is animallistic. Otherwise everyone knows we are not descended from apes but share a common ancestor.

BTW, the whole quote comes from Stephen Hawking, it reads:

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.”

JoeDawg said:
Oh, you must be new here... Welcome to the Internets.

I think I logged into the wrong internet.

WaveJumper said:
I agreed with your statement that "Cruelty is relative. It is a concept that humans only have trouble applying to creatures that they can relate to". My example would show that monkeys(or most other animals) would not kill their own kind and killing animals for food is animallistic. Otherwise everyone knows we are not descended from apes but share a common ancestor.

BTW, the whole quote comes from Stephen Hawking, it reads:

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.”

Monkeys and apes do kill their own kind. Maybe it was a gorilla. It was one of those guys. He did something against the clan of monkeys, and they all went, pardon the pun, ape **** and beat the monkey to death. Boy they were screaming up a storm too!

Also, male lions eat baby cubs that aren't theirs. Your example is just flat out wrong.

Cyrus said:
What do you mean by God? If you have a clear understanding and definition of what it is, we'd stay within it most of the time. As it currently stands, people have a trillion widely differing visions of what God might be. And we aren't even sure the purported creature exist at all, so "sideline theories" are guaranteed to arise from the obscurity of the concept of God. Given the broad scope of the concept implied, i'd stay we've stayed pretty much on topic so far :biggrin:.

WaveJumper said:
What do you mean by God? If you have a clear understanding and definition of what it is, we'd stay within it most of the time. As it currently stands, people have a trillion widely differing visions of what God might be. And we aren't sure the purported creature exist at all, so "sideline theories" are guaranteed to arise from the obscurity of the concept of God. Given the broad scope of the concept implied, i'd stay we've stayed pretty much on topic so far :biggrin:.

A trillion, that's a lot of gods. There is one god and his name is Cyrus peace be upon him amen shalom.

But seriously, nah. This thread adds nothing new. Just sift through the, yes I said it, trillion, other threads created with the same, tired, played out arguments in them.

Probably 99.99% of this thread is junk.

Cyrus said:
Also, male lions eat baby cubs that aren't theirs. Your example is just flat out wrong.

Humans also eat other humans. Sorry, you lose... :tongue2:

Cyrus said:
A trillion, that's a lot of gods. There is one god and his name is Cyrus peace be upon him amen shalom.

But seriously, nah. This thread adds nothing new. Just sift through the, yes I said it, trillion, other threads created with the same, tired, played out arguments in them.

what new thing you suggest to be discussed here, or you wana god come to your door and introduce hisself to you!

forgive me

Cyrus said:

And we thank you for your contribution to the 99.99%

JoeDawg said:

:rofl:

JoeDawg said:

I'm god, my contributions only make that number go down. See, it's already down to 95% from this post alone.

Cyrus, if you are God, then how come I can do this? :biggrin:

<clink clink>

Apparently Cyrus has been watching too much Wayne Dyer. :biggrin: