Need a quick tutorial on the following topics

In summary: I have found the Math & Science Tutorials forum to be useful. I will check out the Science Books Reviews forum as well.
bochain
Can anyone help me with ANY of the following topics:

The concept of the wave packet as determining particle size.

Energies of the Harmonic Oscillator.

The eigenvalues of observables are real-valued and correspons to hermitial operators.

How do we compute the expectation value of the momentum operator, given the wave-function?

How does the wave-function behave in classically forbidden regions? (Exponential decay with a length computed as?)

The degeneracy of angular momentum eigenstates.

Eigen-values of the Lz operator.

Reduced mass of two objects.

Moment of inertia and the rotational energies.

The shape and extent of the hydrogenic orbitals, how to compute the overlap, and the orthogonality of distinct orbitals.

Normalization of a wave-function in a continuous space. Concepts of ground and excited states. Energy spacing of the particle in the box.

Commutators of simple operators that are combinations of coordinate and momentum.

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to PF.
Sounds like to you don't need a quick tutorial, but a good book on QM. As an introduction, I really like D.J. Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics". I think it covers most -- if not all -- of the topics you mentioned.

If you are really into the formalism and think you can handle it right from the start, I think Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" can be considered an authority (though personally, I think Griffiths reads much more pleasantly).

I agree with CompuChip. You need a good book. I don't think it is reasonable to ask for "lessons" on any of these topics in a public forum such as PF when they are really topics best covered in class and in textbooks.

Zz.

By the way, before we give you the wrong impression: It's not that we're not willing to help you or get off with a "buy-a-book" answer. But you ask for quite a lot of topics, and I don't think anyone here, with they studies / work etc. has time to write extensive tutorials on all those subjects. Also, there a probably lots of texts around on the internet, but you would have to combine from all sorts of sites, many of which are probably not very trustworthy. That's why I think the best solution is to buy a book, where you will have all those topics (at least, most of them) covered together, by a reliable author who is considered an authority on the subject by lots of others as well (as opposed to someone writing something on some personal website), which is likely to be (almost) free of errors and will serve you for years as backup reference (even after like 3 years, I still sometimes like to consult the book required for my QM 1 course and which I used for QM 2 because I thought it was much clearer, just to be sure or because I have forgotten something). Of course, if you have doubts about whether to trust a certain resource, or you remain with questions after reading one, don't hesitate to post.

CompuChip said:
Of course, if you have doubts about whether to trust a certain resource, or you remain with questions after reading one, don't hesitate to post.

Yes, that's what a forum like this one is best suited for. If you ask a focused question on a specific topic, someone will probably be able to answer it.

I suggest you check the Math & Science Tutorials forum here. It contains links to sites that people have found useful on various topics, and some material that people have written specifically for PF.

There's also the Science Books Reviews forum, where you can probably find several threads that discuss quantum mechanics books.

The quick reply is much appreciated guys,
I was looking mainly for links to other topics that covered these as well.
Thank you guys.

1. What topics are typically covered in a quick tutorial?

Quick tutorials often cover basic concepts or tasks related to a specific subject, such as how to use a particular software or how to perform a certain experiment in a lab setting.

2. How long does a quick tutorial typically last?

The length of a quick tutorial can vary, but it is usually no longer than 30 minutes. The purpose of a quick tutorial is to provide a brief overview or introduction to a topic, so it is designed to be short and concise.

3. Can I find quick tutorials online for free?

Yes, there are many resources available online that offer quick tutorials for free. These can include video tutorials, written guides, or interactive tutorials. It is important to make sure the source is reliable and reputable before using a tutorial.

4. Are quick tutorials suitable for all levels of expertise?

Quick tutorials can be helpful for individuals of all levels of expertise, but they are typically geared towards beginners or those who need a refresher on a certain topic. If you are looking for more advanced or in-depth information, a quick tutorial may not be sufficient.

5. How can I make the most out of a quick tutorial?

To get the most out of a quick tutorial, it is important to pay attention and actively engage in the material. Take notes, ask questions, and practice the concepts being taught. It can also be helpful to supplement the tutorial with additional resources or seeking help from a teacher or mentor if needed.