Need advice about choosing Physics or Chemistry for my Master's degree

Hi ,
I 'd like to make a master degree but am not sure which department should I join to
meet my goals that I will tell you about shortly , lets begin by my background first,

Background : I have a bachelor in computer and communications engineering , during
my study I had basic Electronics course along with other courses , the course talked about
electronic semiconductor components like BJT, FET ... etc I felt the discussion there was
more like in term of curves and talked about the internal physics and material and
geometrical structure a little bit , as if the device is a black box and we just focus on curves
and deduce circuit models to help design , But thats the starting point for me to dig deeper
inside the device , its material and physical operation , I think that is much related to physics,
chemistry and material science that Electrical engineering.

Goals : I want to achive understanding the internal operation of these semiconductor devices , their
types in terms of materials and geometrical structure and frequency range and circuit modling

I know that physics deals with how atom and light interact and the atom internal structure
while chemistry use results of physics to predict the bonds and possible combination of atoms
to form molecules and materials .. so i want to go through the evolution of atomic structure
classically and in terms of quantum theory and then how bonds are built then the properties of
the materials focusing on semiconductor and electronic materials and their electrical and
magnetic and optical properties .. I care a lot about mathematical derivations for formulas in
physics and chemistry
.. i think that may be related to physical chemistry and solid state chemistry
I know details of the curriculum will be dictated and advised by the academic institute am going to
study in but to start : my question what fits me best ? physics or chemistry ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Forget chemistry. Chemistry is evil. This is what I think of chemistry(*)
1594940123813.png

* OK, MAYBE this is just a personal opinion but don't say you haven't been warned.

Likes AbdAllah Talaat
Hi ,
I 'd like to make a master degree but am not sure which department should I join to
meet my goals that I will tell you about shortly , lets begin by my background first,

Background : I have a bachelor in computer and communications engineering , during
my study I had basic Electronics course along with other courses , the course talked about
electronic semiconductor components like BJT, FET ... etc I felt the discussion there was
more like in term of curves and talked about the internal physics and material and
geometrical structure a little bit , as if the device is a black box and we just focus on curves
and deduce circuit models to help design , But thats the starting point for me to dig deeper
inside the device , its material and physical operation , I think that is much related to physics,
chemistry and material science that Electrical engineering.

Goals : I want to achive understanding the internal operation of these semiconductor devices , their
types in terms of materials and geometrical structure and frequency range and circuit modling

I know that physics deals with how atom and light interact and the atom internal structure
while chemistry use results of physics to predict the bonds and possible combination of atoms
to form molecules and materials .. so i want to go through the evolution of atomic structure
classically and in terms of quantum theory and then how bonds are built then the properties of
the materials focusing on semiconductor and electronic materials and their electrical and
magnetic and optical properties .. I care a lot about mathematical derivations for formulas in
physics and chemistry
.. i think that may be related to physical chemistry and solid state chemistry
I know details of the curriculum will be dictated and advised by the academic institute am going to
study in but to start : my question what fits me best ? physics or chemistry ?

Thanks in advance for your help
To me, your “...focusing on...” seems better suited to physics.

Likes AbdAllah Talaat
Seems like what you may want to do is to find a graduate school catalog for courses given at your prospective graduate university and look at departments of chemistry, or physics, or electrical engineering for a course or program in semiconductor physics.

If I save you the trouble (because these catalogs are not freely available; maybe they are online)., I think you will find that most chemistry departments do not concentrate in this area. I do not think many (if any) physics courses have a course in this area either. I believe you will find your best bet is to examine the electrical engineering department or perhaps materials engineering at most major Universities or institutes. I know they had courses in semiconductor physics at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute many years ago

• Informative
Likes AbdAllah Talaat and symbolipoint
Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From your description of your background, do you have the necessary skill set to apply for either of those graduate programs?