1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need advice for an average biology student worried about the future.

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    This thread is geared towards biology professionals who have only attained a Bachelors degree in the biology/science related field and who have had a minimum work experience of 5+ years.

Long story short, I'm an average sophomore pursing a BS in Biology, age 28 and have already been thinking about the future. Initially, I want to assist then eventually conduct research but the problems that I can already foresee are:

1.) I'll be graduating from a small college that does not have a prestigious biology program. Nothing amazing about this college. Just your local college offering an ordinary biology degree.
    2.) My GPA will probably be around 2.0 < x < 3.0
    3.) Not getting accepted into a graduate program in the biology field due to my GPA.
    4.) Plateauing somewhere down the road due to my inability to progress academically.
    5.) In the future, I want to lead/call the shots for a project/division but won't be able to b/c I don't have the additional education needed for the position.

I am really passionate about the biology field, want to make a difference/contribute in the world and would like to continue but due to these circumstances, I'm not sure if it is wise to continue. Should I change my major or continue? If you are going to respond, please include the following:

1.) Your GPA in college.
    2.) Years working in the biology field.
    3.) How you have progressed or plateaued with JUST a Bachelor's degree.
    4.) Your personal advice.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    I am not a biology major, but I know a couple of people in biology and biological chemistry who have about 3.95 GPA from top unis + very strong graduate degrees + great research experience, and still can't find any on-going biology research jobs. My advice would be to try to get a job via your personal contacts.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook