Need advice Is it possible in 5 months to do this amount of work?

In summary, if you need to do math 11 & 12, ENG 12, CHEM 11 and a GED in 5 months to apply to an engineering transitions program for april 30th, you should get a tutor for each subject and study for the GED.
Hierophant
I need to do math 11 & 12, ENG 12, CHEM 11 and a GED in 5 months to apply to an engineering transitions program for april 30th.

Do you have any advice for me? should I get a tutor?

Physics news on Phys.org
And those classes are..?

Hierophant said:
I need to do math 11 & 12, ENG 12, CHEM 11 and a GED in 5 months to apply to an engineering transitions program for april 30th.

Do you have any advice for me? should I get a tutor?

If this is something you must do then I'd get a tutor maybe a tutor for each subject. There's no guarantee that they can help as this seems like a lot of work especially not knowing exactly what's in these subjects, how much you know already and if these will be applicable to a GED test.

Also for the GED you might be able to find a seminar series that teach you how to take the test. The GED website has a tutorial section:

http://www.gedtestingservice.com/testers/test-on-computer-tutorials

In addition to what Jorriss asked,there is a story in my country which says:
A wise man was sitting on a rock in the way to a village.Someone comes and asks when will I reach to the next village?And the wise man says:walk for a minute.The man walks a bit and asks his question again and the wise man answers.Then the man asks why did you asked me to walk?To which the wise man answers:If I don't know with what speed you go,I can't say when will you reach!

Okay, sorry guys, I'm in a constant rush. I pretty much need to learn everything up to calculus.

I know someone who recently took the GED test, it is really easy, math and English are the only subjects that you need to actually study for so there is no problem with that.

I will experiment with tutors I suppose.

Thanks for the help.

Hierophant said:
Okay, sorry guys, I'm in a constant rush. I pretty much need to learn everything up to calculus.
I suppose generically based on your first post, if you need to learn four courses of material, five months is not an unreasonable amount of time.

Hierophant said:

I know someone who recently took the GED test, it is really easy, math and English are the only subjects that you need to actually study for so there is no problem with that.

I will experiment with tutors I suppose.

Thanks for the help.

Mathematics is a subject you will have to study anyways, and the mathematics in the GED is very simple. I probably could have gotten a perfect score without studying, and I never learned much past Algebra I due to laziness.

That said, the test is supposedly harder now, or will be in the near future.

I got my ged in January and the way its done here is you take pretests and they consider the level of knowledge you have and that determines what kind of questions are on your test. the test that I took you had to know some trig concepts in order to answer. no calculus at all though. and the algebra wasn't hard either. the hardest part was the essay. coming up with an essay where they pick the topic off the tip of your tongue isn't my thing.

462chevelle said:
I got my ged in January and the way its done here is you take pretests and they consider the level of knowledge you have and that determines what kind of questions are on your test. the test that I took you had to know some trig concepts in order to answer. no calculus at all though. and the algebra wasn't hard either. the hardest part was the essay. coming up with an essay where they pick the topic off the tip of your tongue isn't my thing.

So this is one of those progressive tests where they move forward with tougher and tougher problems until you miss a question and then they backoff as they assess the level of difficulty you can handle. SAT and GRE's are doing it or will be shortly.

Well, its kind of like that, the test i took was on paper. So the difficulty stayed constant during the test. We took practice tests, got scored on them and that determined my test. A couple other people was taking the test at the same time as me and they didn't even have mult/div. of negative numbers on theirs and i had quadratic equations, trig concepts(no equations), and word problems. The essay was the hardest part for me. I had to write an essay about if i had a million dollars to donate to some program, who would i donate to and why. That sucked, i enjoyed the maths. The science and history part of the test was mainly graph or nature analysis. There was a couple problems about electrical properties of magnets. Other than that all the info was in the test for science and history.

In engineering you're probably going to take 5 courses over a 4-month period, and an engineering course usually covers a LOT more material than a high school course, so I would guess that, at worst, this will just give you a taste of what engineering school is going to be like. You might not have a very fun semester, and you may have to refocus your priorities (less time to spend with friends, etc), but I don't see why it shouldn't be doable. (Though to be honest, I don't know much about the GED. I'm assuming it's about the same amount of work as a couple of high school courses)

Yes, this is not much compared to what you will do in engineering school.

1. Is it realistic to complete a large amount of work in just 5 months?

It depends on the specific amount of work and your individual capabilities. It is important to carefully assess the scope and complexity of the work and create a realistic timeline for completion. Seeking help from colleagues or breaking the work into smaller, manageable tasks may also increase your chances of success.

2. How should I prioritize my tasks in order to finish within 5 months?

Prioritizing tasks is crucial in completing a large amount of work in a short time frame. Start by identifying the most important and time-sensitive tasks, and then work on the ones that require less time and effort. It may also be helpful to create a schedule or to-do list to stay organized and on track.

3. What are some strategies to help me stay motivated and focused during this time?

Setting clear goals, taking breaks, and rewarding yourself for completing tasks are all effective strategies for staying motivated and focused. Additionally, making sure to get enough rest, exercise, and proper nutrition can also help increase productivity and maintain motivation.

4. How can I manage my time efficiently to complete the work in 5 months?

Time management is key in completing a large amount of work in a limited time frame. Start by breaking down the work into smaller, more manageable tasks and creating a schedule to ensure that each task is completed within a specific time frame. It may also be helpful to eliminate distractions and delegate tasks if possible.

5. What should I do if I am falling behind on my timeline?

If you find yourself falling behind on your timeline, it is important to reassess your approach and make necessary adjustments. Consider seeking help from colleagues or breaking the work into smaller tasks. It may also be helpful to communicate with your supervisor or team to discuss any challenges or roadblocks you may be facing and find solutions together.