Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Need Advice on summer studying, books, calculus

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    Hello.
    Some background on me:
    Just graduated with physics major and am going to graduate school this fall. However, due to additional focus on philosophy I couldn't focus on properly learning either math or physics. I am relatively capable, however, I have small knowledge with many gaps to work with. Now that I am will be done with this, I want to learn properly both physics and math, focusing all my time only on them.

I have ~3-4 month free this summer, and I would like to spend them re-learning calculus (properly) and a little bit of other math (linear algebra, etc.) so I will have a good command of the subject before focusing on re-learning physics properly in grad. school (as I mentioned, I am fairly capable but have many gaps in knowledge).

1) Is this a reasonable task? (considering I will have 3-4 month)

2) If yes, which books should I look for? I am interested in something that will allow me to have great command of calculus and will also allow me to have a good foundation to properly learn advance math after. I heard people recommending Spivak, Courant, Apostol.

I looked through Apostol, and 2 Volumes contain all the necessary material I would like to learn. Would it be possible to get good grasp of the material and finish the volumes during summer? Or, what would be a better route?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

Well, it can never hurt to learn the material from Apostol. But I guess someone with a bachelor's in physics will have enough knowledge of calculus and linear algebra for physicists (if you did mechanics, em, qm, you are probably confortable with the computational sides). I don't think the material from Apostol will help you much for physics grad school: it's nice to be able to prove Bolzano Weierstrass' theorem, but it doesn't make general relativity easier, so to speak.

It's probably wiser to fill the gaps in your physics knowledge.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook