Need data for galactic rotation curves

In summary, the person is looking for sources of data for galactic rotation curves, including both observed and expected velocities, to experiment with in a spreadsheet. They have had difficulty finding data for expected velocities and are seeking help or guidance in finding this information.
Buckethead
Gold Member
I'm looking for sources of data for galactic rotation curves but need not only the observed rotation curves but also the expected (Keplerian) curve data to load into a spreadsheet to experiment with. After extensive searching I found a few pockets of data for observed velocities but not for expected velocities. I tried going through the NED website but the format is over my head. (I'm just a hobbyist not a researcher). So if anyone can point me to a site that shows raw data for 1) radius, 2) observed velocity, 3) expected velocity for some popular local spiral galaxies it would be very much appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can anyone help with this or guide me toward finding someone that can help with this? Thanks!

1. Why do we need data for galactic rotation curves?

Data for galactic rotation curves is important for understanding the dynamics of galaxies. This data helps us to determine the distribution of mass within a galaxy and to study the effects of dark matter on galactic rotation. It also allows us to test and refine existing theories of gravity and cosmology.

2. How is data for galactic rotation curves obtained?

Data for galactic rotation curves can be obtained through various methods, such as optical telescopes, radio telescopes, and spectroscopy. These techniques allow us to measure the velocities of stars and gas within a galaxy, which are used to plot the rotation curve.

3. What is a rotation curve?

A rotation curve is a graph that plots the rotational velocity of a galaxy as a function of its distance from the center. This curve can provide valuable information about the distribution of mass within a galaxy and the presence of dark matter.

4. Why is dark matter important in studying galactic rotation curves?

Dark matter is important in studying galactic rotation curves because it is believed to make up a large portion of a galaxy's mass. By studying its effects on the rotation curve, we can learn more about the properties and distribution of dark matter in the universe.

5. How does data for galactic rotation curves support the theory of dark matter?

Data for galactic rotation curves supports the theory of dark matter by showing that the observed rotational velocities of galaxies do not match the predicted velocities based on visible matter alone. This indicates the presence of an invisible mass, which is believed to be dark matter. Additionally, the shape of the rotation curve can also provide evidence for the existence of dark matter in a galaxy.