Hubble redshift and calculation of galactic rotation curves

In summary: This would cause the spectrum of the material to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, as seen from the observer. In summary, the rotation velocities of galaxies exhibiting keplerian motion are not relativistic and the associated spatial expansion of the Universe does not produce an observed asymmetry in the apparent LOS velocity between material in these systems that is moving towards and material that is moving away from the observer.
ConformalGrpOp
I am interested in whether it is necessary to account for the effects of the Hubble Redshift in determining the rotation velocities of galaxies exhibiting keplerian motion and, in particular, whether the associated spatial expansion of the Universe is known to result in spectral shifts that produce an observed asymmetry in the apparent LOS velocity between material in these systems that is moving toward and material that is moving away from the observer. I would also appreciate any references in the literature where this specific subject is discussed.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know of any asymmetry in the effect of Hubble expansion, on the way towards and away speeds of material are detected. The rotation speeds are not relativistic. Say there is some stuff on one side coming towards us at 300 km/s and on the other side going away at 300 km/s. So wavelengths are either contracted or expanded by a tenth of a percent. Multiplied by 999/1000, or by 1001/1000, compared with the average for the galaxy.

Then suppose that the galaxy is at 1+z = 3. So everything is coming in larger by a factor of 3. You would expect the Doppler effects to be proportional and the same percentagewise as before. The effect of Hubble expansion would be symmetric: still one tenth of one percent expanded or contracted. either way.

It seems intuitive to me, not in need of analysis. So I could be missing something--there may be something I can learn from you, if you would like to teach me---IOW how an asymmetry might arise.

Last edited:
Picture the blades of a helicopter. Does the RPM of the blades appear different when it is receeding as opposed to when approaching, or hovering in place?

Thank you Marcus and Chronos. I get the idea. With this in mind, the only asymmetric phenomena one could associate with the redshift that I can conceive of (though I wouldn't necessarily exclude the possibility of others), is where the recession velocity of the system is just below the speed of light so that the rotational velocity of the material moving away from the observer exceeds the speed of light relative to the observer. That material would, presumably be unobservable while the remainder of the system could, at least theoretically, be determined.

Last edited:

1. What is Hubble redshift and how does it relate to the expansion of the universe?

Hubble redshift is the phenomenon where light from distant galaxies appears to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the wavelengths of light to stretch as they travel through space. The greater the distance of a galaxy, the higher its redshift, indicating that it is moving away from us at a faster rate.

2. How is Hubble redshift used to calculate the distance of galaxies?

By measuring the redshift of a galaxy, scientists can use Hubble's law, which states that the recessional velocity of a galaxy is directly proportional to its distance from Earth. This allows them to calculate the distance of a galaxy based on its redshift, providing a way to map the large-scale structure of the universe.

3. What is the significance of Hubble redshift in cosmology?

Hubble redshift plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its history. It provides evidence for the expansion of the universe and has been used to support the Big Bang theory. It also allows us to estimate the age and size of the universe.

4. How is Hubble redshift used in the calculation of galactic rotation curves?

Hubble redshift is used in combination with the Doppler effect to measure the rotational velocity of galaxies. By observing the redshift of light emitted from different regions of a galaxy, scientists can determine the speed at which the galaxy is rotating. This information is used to create rotation curves, which provide insights into the distribution of mass within a galaxy.

5. What are some of the limitations of using Hubble redshift in cosmological studies?

While Hubble redshift is a powerful tool in cosmology, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot be used for galaxies that are too far away, as their light is shifted beyond the observable spectrum. Also, it assumes that the redshift is solely due to the expansion of the universe, when in fact there may be other factors at play, such as gravitational interactions between galaxies.