Need guidance on Proof theory and Model theory

In summary, the individual is planning to start their Master programme in December with a focus on philosophy of logic. They are interested in proof theory and wish to engage in it as their first reading material towards mathematical logic. However, none of their professors specialize in mathematical logic, but one has agreed to supervise them and suggested using proof theory as a basis to study algebra for their dissertation. The individual is wondering if they can continue their reading on proof theory and then easily understand model theory for their thesis in algebra. They are also interested in pursuing a postdoc scholarship in philosophical logic in the future. They are unsure if studying proof theory for 3 months before starting their master programme will be helpful or a waste of time.
unko
Hi, I'm planning to start my Master programme this december. I am very interested in philosophy of logic. And i am inclined to read more proof theory rather than model theory. And i really wanted to engage in proof theory as my first reading materials towards mathematical logic area.

Unfortunately none of my professors in my university are in mathematical logic's sphere. But one of my professor agreed supervising me and his current interest is on Group theory. His suggestion was to make use Proof theory as a basis to study Algebra for my dissertation. I never went further into Model theory but I'm guessing Model theory is closer to Algebra than Proof theory.

So, I'm wondering if i can just continue my reading on Proof theory, hoping that it can somehow help me with my dissertation later on Logic in Algebra. Because i really wanted to finish my reading on Proof Theory (Takeuti) and Handbook of Proof theory (Samuel R. Buss) before this December

If Model theory is really indispensable(is it?) in writing thesis for logic in algebra, and since Proof theory and Model theory shared many basic theorems, then can i just read Proof theory, and when i finished reading it, i can easily understand Model theory later for my thesis in Algebra. Can i ?

Sorry for my bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
unko said:
Hi, I'm planning to start my Master programme this december. I am very interested in philosophy of logic. And i am inclined to read more proof theory rather than model theory. And i really wanted to engage in proof theory as my first reading materials towards mathematical logic area.

Unfortunately none of my professors in my university are in mathematical logic's sphere. But one of my professor agreed supervising me and his current interest is on Group theory. His suggestion was to make use Proof theory as a basis to study Algebra for my dissertation. I never went further into Model theory but I'm guessing Model theory is closer to Algebra than Proof theory.

So, I'm wondering if i can just continue my reading on Proof theory, hoping that it can somehow help me with my dissertation later on Logic in Algebra. Because i really wanted to finish my reading on Proof Theory (Takeuti) and Handbook of Proof theory (Samuel R. Buss) before this December

If Model theory is really indispensable(is it?) in writing thesis for logic in algebra, and since Proof theory and Model theory shared many basic theorems, then can i just read Proof theory, and when i finished reading it, i can easily understand Model theory later for my thesis in Algebra. Can i ?

Sorry for my bad english

I think model theory will be indispensable. Logic, for example, didn't change much since Aristotle and Chryssipus, until Frege with his strange symbols (see Begriffsschrift). Then Russell invented his symbols ##\forall, \exists## and all that. And 30 years later you had Gödel's theorems. So I think the general means of progress in these areas is to create an algebraic system of symbols and then go much further with the analysis.

You can also look at set theory as a semantics of logic. A set is just the extension of a predicate, etc, etc. This led to a total reworking of mathematics and no one can say that it hasn't been better since. Even Descartes with his cartesian plane, equations as names for curves, led to incredible progress, surely the whole of analysis for example.

Calculus is similar, Leibniz's symbols are still with us and I think no one can say they haven't made rates of change problems very easy to handle.

Perhaps symbols and algebra are not the same thing but they go together, they are surely indispensable. This reminds me of something, I recall reading that after Russell and Whitehead wrote the Principia Mathematica, there was a tendency, till around the 40's or perhaps 50's, to reduce everything to symbols, for example genetics. Supposedly that trend died away but that is the mindset you want to have, I think. Otherwise, you'll be adding to the verbiage that no one is ever going to read a few years later.

My interest is solely based in the area of philosophy of logic or metamathematics or the history of them. And i would rather go to a philosophical department but for example in japanese universities almost all of the logicians are in the computering departments, and only around 2 professors on logic are in mathematical departments, and none of the logicians here are residing in any philosophical departments. Most of them here are in the area on ethics or metaphysics.

And since i really do interested in the rigorousity of mathematics in logic, i really do try my best to stick on studying mathematics in logic and not to engage completely in the study of logic in mathematics per se. So I thought starting my master and phd programme in studying logic in mathematical department would be nice. So in future, when i finished my phd, that might help me as a ticket to go further to postdoc schorlarship in philosophical logic in other countries.

As from what i know that model theory is the study of logic in mathematics instead of studying mathematics in logic, and proof theory is more likely applicable in philosophy.

so if you said model theory is really indespensable for algebra, does studying further in proof theory (atleast for this 3 months before i start master programme) can help me understand model theory easily when i start my master programme? or it doesn't really help and, reading rigoroualy on proof theory for 3 months is a waste of time?

ps: I am not sure if my choice of word is correct, but what i meant by "mathematics in logic" is like studying logic using mathematics and vice versa.

Last edited:
unko said:
My interest is solely based in the area of philosophy of logic or metamathematics or the history of them. And i would rather go to a philosophical department but for example in japanese universities almost all of the logicians are in the computering departments, and only around 2 professors on logic are in mathematical departments, and none of the logicians here are residing in any philosophical departments. Most of them here are in the area on ethics or metaphysics.

What people like Aristotle did was to take thought and argumentation and try to write it down. They wanted a language to describe convincing arguments. When does an argument convince and when does it fail to commute? What they in fact did was to create an algebra. At least, it seems that way to me. Logic is all about algebras, is it not?

You could argue that this is a philosophical position, that whether it is or isn't about algebras can't be solved because it is just a point of view. But this is not really to the point: knowledge advanced when symbols and algebras were used. This is reason enough, you must use them.

I know that this isn't all that it is about, there is also how to interpret things. I'll use the example of plural quantification: "there are elephants that live in Asia". One can interpret this as a plural quantifier, not to mean there is an elephant but that there are myriad elephants. But see, I think this has to be turned into an algebra and symbols, and how could one do that? The idea that you can lose precision and somehow learn something is wrong a priori, is it not?

Or take possible world semantics, you can say that this is a way to interpret logical statements. Ok, but give a possible world a symbol, develop a model theory for it, this is the right approach. Whatever you can say in words, give it an ontology of symbols, this is something I very strongly believe in. To not do this is to repeat the mistakes of the past.

And since i really do interested in the rigorousity of mathematics in logic, i really do try my best to stick on studying mathematics in logic and not to engage completely in the study of logic in mathematics per se. So I thought starting my master and phd programme in studying logic in mathematical department would be nice. So in future, when i finished my phd, that might help me as a ticket to go further to postdoc schorlarship in philosophical logic in other countries.

I think there is no option for you to but to do this mathematical approach. I've seen a few times before that people ask questions here, they want to study in the USA and have a masters in something like phenomenology. It is a warning sign because you just know there wasn't a lot of math in it. In fact, I'll give this quote:

Wikipedia (Phenomenology) said:
This ontology (study of reality) can be clearly differentiated from the Cartesian method of analysis which sees the world as objects, sets of objects, and objects acting and reacting upon one another

Some ideas are just plain bad.

As from what i know that model theory is the study of logic in mathematics instead of studying mathematics in logic, and proof theory is more likely applicable in philosophy.

so if you said model theory is really indespensable for algebra, does studying further in proof theory (atleast for this 3 months before i start master programme) can help me understand model theory easily when i start my master programme? or it doesn't really help and, reading rigoroualy on proof theory for 3 months is a waste of time?

Do you know the story of the blind men and the elephant? They felt the elephant; one thought it was a snake, one thought it was a tree, etc. It was none of those things. This is what philosophy is about (if it is about anything), realising that it isn't a snake or a tree, realizing what it is and then being very precise to define it, the more precise the better because that is the whole point, to remove the uncertainty.

Now proof theory is like the snake theory, it professes to be about proofs but this is just one aspect of logic. Proofs work the way they do because of the algebraic structure of the logic. So that is what you want to study, not what is going to be superficial.

I want to make a point here that hopefully will be valuable to you. You can see this as choosing a foundationalist theory over a coherentist theory, coherentism being the idea that as long as a theory is coherent, it doesn't need to be founded in any sort of common sense. Given what I said about philosophy being about removing uncertainty, it is very clear than coherentism is wrong. And this right here is the point I want to make, you must choose a side. Looking at all sides is an overrated notion, it takes too much time and is not how you want to be thinking.

Your question was, is it a waste of time? Yes, it will waste your time to study rigorous proof theory. That said, everyone has some time to waste so if you are interested, have a look at it.

ps: I am not sure if my choice of word is correct, but what i meant by "mathematics in logic" is like studying logic using mathematics and vice versa.

I would suggest that you first discuss your interests and goals with your professor who has agreed to supervise you. It is important to have a clear understanding of the expectations for your dissertation and how proof theory and model theory may fit into your research topic. Your professor may also be able to provide you with guidance on how to approach your reading and what areas to focus on.

In terms of proof theory and model theory, they are both important branches of mathematical logic and have their own unique applications and contributions. While proof theory may be more closely related to algebra, model theory also has applications in this area. It is important to have a solid understanding of both theories in order to fully grasp the concepts and techniques used in mathematical logic.

If you are interested in proof theory, it is definitely worth pursuing and building a strong foundation in this area. However, it may also be beneficial to familiarize yourself with model theory as well, even if it is not your primary focus. This will allow you to have a more comprehensive understanding of mathematical logic and may also help you in your research.

In conclusion, my advice would be to discuss your specific goals and interests with your professor and to continue your reading in proof theory while also exploring model theory as it relates to your research topic. It is important to have a well-rounded understanding of both theories in order to succeed in your Master's program and in your research on logic in algebra.

1. What is the difference between Proof theory and Model theory?

Proof theory and Model theory are both branches of mathematical logic, but they have different focuses. Proof theory is concerned with the study of formal proofs and the rules of inference that govern them. It aims to provide a foundation for mathematics by exploring the structure and properties of formal systems. On the other hand, Model theory is concerned with the study of mathematical structures and their interpretations. It aims to understand the relationships between formal languages and the structures they represent.

2. How are Proof theory and Model theory used in mathematics?

Proof theory and Model theory are fundamental tools in mathematics. Proof theory is used to establish the validity of mathematical arguments, while Model theory is used to study the properties of mathematical structures and their relationships. Both branches are essential in areas such as set theory, algebra, and analysis.

3. What are some applications of Proof theory and Model theory?

Proof theory and Model theory have a wide range of applications in mathematics and computer science. In mathematics, they are used to develop formal theories and prove theorems. In computer science, they are used for automated theorem proving, program verification, and the development of programming languages. They also have applications in artificial intelligence, linguistics, and philosophy.

4. What is the role of Proof theory and Model theory in logic and philosophy?

Proof theory and Model theory are crucial in understanding the foundations of logic and its philosophical implications. Proof theory is used to study the structure of logical systems, while Model theory is used to explore the semantics of these systems. They are also used to analyze the validity of arguments and the relationship between language and reality.

5. What are some key concepts in Proof theory and Model theory?

Some key concepts in Proof theory include axioms, rules of inference, formal proofs, and the notion of consistency. In Model theory, key concepts include structures, interpretations, models, and the notions of completeness and categoricity. Other important concepts include soundness, completeness, and decidability.