Need help by 10:00 tonight (when assignment is due)

• Thread starter Bensky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the problem involves finding the initial x and y velocities of an object launched near the Earth, as shown in an animation. The graph of the object's motion is symmetrical and has a parabolic shape, with the time at the top increasing as the animation progresses. Using the kinematic equations and the given information, the initial x velocity can be determined to be 10.6 m/s, while the initial y velocity can be found by considering the maximum height, starting speed, acceleration, and time. Care must be taken with the signs of the velocities, as the initial velocity in the y-direction is in a different direction than the final velocity.
Bensky

Homework Statement

http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07452/graphhelp.PNG

Find the initial x velocity and initial y velocity.

Homework Equations

vx0=vx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting 0 as both, but later realized that it has to have some initial x/y velocity or the graph would not curve upwards. I think that the initial y acceleration has to be negative because of the parabolic shape, but I don't know what the velocity is. :$ As for the initial x velocity, all I can figure out is that its constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what it is you're trying to do. The statement of the problem isn't very clear. Could you restate it exactly as its given, or if that is exactly as its given could you elaborate more about what you're doing.

Kurdt said:
I'm not sure what it is you're trying to do. The statement of the problem isn't very clear. Could you restate it exactly as its given, or if that is exactly as its given could you elaborate more about what you're doing.

Sorry, here is the whole problem (the graph was at the top and was an animation):

Problem: An object is launched near the Earth as shown in the animation.

So far, I have figured out the following values (they are correct, so the computer says). The ones with ?s are the ones that I don't know.
What is the maximum height of the object? 26 m
What is the initial x velocity? ? m/s

What is the initial y velocity? ? m/s

What is the speed of the object at the maximum height? 10.6 m/s

What is the acceleration of the object at the maximum height? -9.8 m/s2

Unfortunately its not animated on here so we don't know what the graph looks like at all. Is it a distance-time graph or are both axes distance, and what does it look like?

Kurdt said:
Unfortunately its not animated on here so we don't know what the graph looks like at all. Is it a distance-time graph or are both axes distance, and what does it look like?

Both axes are distance. The shape of the graph is like y=-x^2 (parabola, curves at the top then comes downward)
As it animates, the time at the top increases :$

is that what you needed?

Oh, and here is a picture of the graph at the end:
http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07452/endofgraph.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
The curve is symmetrical which means just before the projectile hits the ground its speed in the x and y directions are linked to the initial x and y speeds. Can you make the connection?

Kurdt said:
The curve is symmetrical which means just before the projectile hits the ground its speed in the x and y directions are linked to the initial x and y speeds. Can you make the connection?

I can see the ending velocity will be the same as the beginning velocity. Do I need to use a kinematic equation or do I need to find the slope to get the initial x and y velocities? :\

I know this is easy but I can't seem to get it.

One can use the kinematic equations. Obviously x is constant as you stated and is easy to work out from the info on the graph. The y-component can be found by using the kinematic equations as I said. You know the maximum height the starting speed which will be zero m/s and the acceleration which is just -g and finally the time which will be half the total time.

Be careful about signs though. The initial velocity in the y-direction is in a different direction to the final velocity.

Kurdt said:
One can use the kinematic equations. Obviously x is constant as you stated and is easy to work out from the info on the graph. The y-component can be found by using the kinematic equations as I said. You know the maximum height the starting speed which will be zero m/s and the acceleration which is just -g and finally the time which will be half the total time.

Be careful about signs though. The initial velocity in the y-direction is in a different direction to the final velocity.

So the initial x velocity would be 10.6 since that's what it is at the top?

Bensky said:
So the initial x velocity would be 10.6 since that's what it is at the top?

Yes, you can verify that with the info given in the graph.

Alright, thank you, I understand now. :)

1. What happens if I don't get help by 10:00 tonight?

If you do not receive help by 10:00 tonight, you risk not completing your assignment on time. This could result in a lower grade or even a failed assignment.

2. How can I find someone to help me by 10:00 tonight?

You can try reaching out to classmates, friends, or tutors for assistance. You can also try posting on online forums or social media groups to see if anyone is available to help.

3. Will I have time to finish the assignment if I get help by 10:00 tonight?

It depends on the complexity of the assignment and your knowledge of the subject. Getting help by 10:00 tonight can definitely give you a better chance of completing the assignment on time, but it is important to manage your time effectively.

4. Is it okay to get help for my assignment?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to seek help for your assignment. It is important to understand the material and do your own work, but getting assistance is a great way to learn and improve your understanding of the subject.

5. How can I make sure I get the help I need by 10:00 tonight?

Be clear and specific about what you need help with and give enough time for the person to assist you. Communicate any important details or requirements for the assignment and follow up with the person to ensure they are able to help you on time.