1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help figuring how to maintain constant concentration in my samples!

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    I am performing an experiment where I am spiking my product with various % of CTAB. I have made stock solution of 2% (w/v) CTAB in 40 mM NaCl. I also need to make sure that I maintain the NaCl conentration at 40 mM. The product that the stock solution is being added to doesn't have any NaCl in it to begin with.

I know how to calculate the amount of 2% CTAB stock solution to obtain my final CTAB concentrations but am at a loss for how to maintain the NaCl at 40 mM in all samples.

Example: for 1% CTAB in 1 mL of product, I add 1 mL of 2% CTAB stock solution but by doing this I am reducing the NaCl concentration to 20 mM. I can add more NaCl to the mixture but then I end up reducing the CTAB concentration.

Can someone please help???
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to make a separate stock solution of CTAB - BTW what is this ? - and NaCl. Another choice is to add the NaCl as a solid.
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    CTAB is cetyltrimethylammonium bromide.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?