Need help figuring how to maintain constant concentration in my samples

In summary, the speaker is performing an experiment by spiking their product with varying concentrations of CTAB. They have made a stock solution of 2% CTAB in 40 mM NaCl and need to maintain this NaCl concentration when adding the stock solution to the product. They are unsure how to do this and are seeking help. One option is to make a separate stock solution of CTAB and NaCl, or to add solid NaCl to the mixture.
staceybiomed
I am performing an experiment where I am spiking my product with various % of CTAB. I have made stock solution of 2% (w/v) CTAB in 40 mM NaCl. I also need to make sure that I maintain the NaCl conentration at 40 mM. The product that the stock solution is being added to doesn't have any NaCl in it to begin with.

I know how to calculate the amount of 2% CTAB stock solution to obtain my final CTAB concentrations but am at a loss for how to maintain the NaCl at 40 mM in all samples.

Example: for 1% CTAB in 1 mL of product, I add 1 mL of 2% CTAB stock solution but by doing this I am reducing the NaCl concentration to 20 mM. I can add more NaCl to the mixture but then I end up reducing the CTAB concentration.

Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
staceybiomed said:
I am performing an experiment where I am spiking my product with various % of CTAB. I have made stock solution of 2% (w/v) CTAB in 40 mM NaCl. I also need to make sure that I maintain the NaCl conentration at 40 mM. The product that the stock solution is being added to doesn't have any NaCl in it to begin with.

I know how to calculate the amount of 2% CTAB stock solution to obtain my final CTAB concentrations but am at a loss for how to maintain the NaCl at 40 mM in all samples.

Example: for 1% CTAB in 1 mL of product, I add 1 mL of 2% CTAB stock solution but by doing this I am reducing the NaCl concentration to 20 mM. I can add more NaCl to the mixture but then I end up reducing the CTAB concentration.

Can someone please help?

You need to make a separate stock solution of CTAB - BTW what is this ? - and NaCl. Another choice is to add the NaCl as a solid.

CTAB is cetyltrimethylammonium bromide.

1. What factors can affect the concentration of my samples?

There are several factors that can affect the concentration of your samples, such as temperature, pH, and sample preparation techniques. It is important to carefully control these variables to maintain a constant concentration.

2. How can I ensure that my samples are properly mixed?

Proper mixing is essential for maintaining a constant concentration in your samples. You can ensure this by using a vortexer or magnetic stirrer, or by gently inverting the sample multiple times before use.

3. What is the best way to store my samples to maintain their concentration?

The best way to store your samples depends on the type of sample and the analyte being measured. In general, samples should be stored at the appropriate temperature and protected from light and air to avoid any changes in concentration.

4. How often should I calibrate my instruments to ensure accurate concentration measurements?

It is recommended to calibrate your instruments before each use to ensure accurate concentration measurements. This will help to account for any variations or changes in the instrument's performance.

5. What can I do if I notice fluctuations in my sample concentrations?

If you notice fluctuations in your sample concentrations, it is important to troubleshoot and identify the root cause. This can include checking for any errors in sample preparation, instrument performance, or environmental factors. Once the issue is identified, you can take appropriate measures to maintain a constant concentration in your samples.