Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for a maximal ideal quesiton

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    here is the quesiton:

let I=<2>. prove that I[x] is not a maximal ideal of Z[x] even though I is a maximal ideal of Z

can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is I[x] supposed to be?

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Morphism, are you asking this to make sure that wowolala understands it or can anyoe answer?

5. Jan 24, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anyone can answer - but who's to tell if what they say is what wowolala had intended. :wink: It's just that I'm not familiar with the notation I[x] when I is an ideal, probably because for me rings have always been unital so that ideals aren't necessarily (sub)rings. But I guess I[x] is the ideal generated by I and {x}?

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My "guess" would be that, since I is the set of all even integers, I[x] is the set of all polynomials, in the variable x, having even integers for coefficients. That is an ideal of Z[x] but not maximal: there is no single polynomial, having even coefficients, that generates the ideal.

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's true, but it proves that I[x] isn't principal and not that it isn't maximal.

I think the fastest way to prove non-maximality is to observe that Z[x]/I[x] isn't a field.

8. Jan 24, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, dear, I misread the question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?