1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for a maximal ideal quesiton

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    here is the quesiton:

let I=<2>. prove that I[x] is not a maximal ideal of Z[x] even though I is a maximal ideal of Z

can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is I[x] supposed to be?

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Morphism, are you asking this to make sure that wowolala understands it or can anyoe answer?

5. Jan 24, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anyone can answer - but who's to tell if what they say is what wowolala had intended. :wink: It's just that I'm not familiar with the notation I[x] when I is an ideal, probably because for me rings have always been unital so that ideals aren't necessarily (sub)rings. But I guess I[x] is the ideal generated by I and {x}?

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My "guess" would be that, since I is the set of all even integers, I[x] is the set of all polynomials, in the variable x, having even integers for coefficients. That is an ideal of Z[x] but not maximal: there is no single polynomial, having even coefficients, that generates the ideal.

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's true, but it proves that I[x] isn't principal and not that it isn't maximal.

I think the fastest way to prove non-maximality is to observe that Z[x]/I[x] isn't a field.

8. Jan 24, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, dear, I misread the question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook