Need help identifying which algebra rule was used

• Thread starter LogarithmLuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the discussion is about simplifying an expression versus transforming an equation using various mathematical operations.
LogarithmLuke
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/derivative-of-1-x.211489/

In the last post, three last steps. He changes -h into -1, how does this work? I know that if you for example have h/h it's equal to 1 regardless of what value h has, since they're both the same value. I don't see that being applied here though. Could anyone help me out?

By the way, i tried messaging the person who posted it, but he is no longer active on this forum. The thread is also not open for further replies.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If
[tex]f(x+h)-f(x)=\frac{-h}{x(x+h)}[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}=\frac{-1}{x(x+h)}[/tex]

Is this what you're asking about?

To simplify it, it's basically equivalent to

If
[tex]A = \frac{-h}{B}[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{A}{h}=\frac{-1}{B}[/tex]
because
[tex]\frac{A}{h}=\frac{\left(\frac{-h}{B}\right)}{h}=\frac{-h}{Bh}=\frac{-1}{B}[/tex]

But more simply, you can just notice that A has a factor of h in the numerator, so to divide A by h, you're then cancelling that factor.

LogarithmLuke said:
In the last post, three last steps. He changes -h into -1, how does this work?
That's not what happened. What he did do was divide both sides by h.

What are you puzzled by? [itex]\frac{-h}{h}=-1[/itex]

I know, i just didn't think about the equation that was there, because that's not how i learned to do it in school. It didn't cross my mind that he used the fact that there was an equation there to move further with the math problem. When I've done these we never used equations, just simple factoring.

LogarithmLuke said:
I know, i just didn't think about the equation that was there, because that's not how i learned to do it in school. It didn't cross my mind that he used the fact that there was an equation there to move further with the math problem. When I've done these we never used equations, just simple factoring.
There's a big difference between simplifying an expression (such as by factoring and combining terms and so on) and working with an equation. When you're working with an expression, there are only a few things you can do, but when you're working with an equation, there are lots of things you can do: add the same expression to both sides, multiply both sides by the same value, divide both sides by the same nonzero value, take logs of both sides, and many others.

1. What is the purpose of identifying the algebra rule used?

The purpose of identifying the algebra rule used is to understand how a particular problem was solved using algebraic concepts and principles. This can help in solving similar problems and improving overall understanding of algebra.

2. How can I identify the algebra rule used in a problem?

To identify the algebra rule used, you can look for patterns and relationships between the given numbers and variables. You can also check for common algebraic formulas or techniques that are commonly used in solving similar problems.

3. Why is it important to know the algebra rule used?

It is important to know the algebra rule used because it helps in accurately solving problems and avoiding errors. It also helps in building a strong foundation in algebra and improving problem-solving skills.

4. Can different algebra rules be used to solve the same problem?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to solve a problem using different algebra rules. However, some rules may be more efficient or appropriate for certain types of problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of algebra rules?

To improve your understanding of algebra rules, you can practice solving various problems using different rules. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and learn from others. Additionally, studying and reviewing algebra concepts regularly can also help in improving understanding.