Need help in a real analysis question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about proving the existence of two subsequences that converge to different points in a compact set K. The hint suggests using the Heine-Borel Theorem and Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem to show the existence of a convergent subsequence, and then using a "subsequence-ectomy" to prove that the whole sequence does not converge.
zztc2004
I am trying to prove a question :
Assume K[tex]\inR^{m}[/tex] is compact and {xn} (n from 1 to infinite) is a sequence of points in K that does not converge . Prove that there are 2 subsequences that converge to different points in K .
Hint : Let yi=x[tex]_{ni}[/tex] be one subsequence that converges to a point in K. what is the consequence of the fact that the whole sequence goes not converge to y .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, zz:

You may be able to argue that if two subsequences {x_ni} and {x_nj} of {x_n}
converge to the same value x, then the original sequence {x_n} must itself converge
to x . It seems clear this would be true if X is metric/metrizable, when you can just use the triangle inequality, but let's see the more general case:

So assume that. Then for every 'hood U_x of x, ( 'hood :=neighborhood) there
is an N with : x_ni is in U_x for i>n, and x_nj is also in U_x.

I think that is almost it.

Look up Heine-Borel Theorem. See if that and the given condition of compactness tells you anything about K. Also look up Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem. See if that helps you show there is a convergent subsequence. Also, if you can show there is one converging subsequence why is it that the whole given sequence doesn't converge? Can you do a subsequence-ectomy, then B-W Th again on what's left? I won't say more.

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and the functions defined on them. It involves the rigorous examination of limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and sequences and series.

2. How do I approach a real analysis question?

When faced with a real analysis question, it is important to carefully read and understand the given problem. Then, try to identify the key concepts and theorems that may be applicable. From there, use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to solve the problem step by step.

3. What are some common challenges in real analysis?

Real analysis can be a challenging subject due to its abstract nature and the need for rigorous proofs. Some common challenges include understanding and applying the definitions and theorems, as well as mastering the techniques for proving statements.

4. How can I improve my skills in real analysis?

To improve your skills in real analysis, it is important to practice regularly and seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor.

5. How is real analysis applied in other fields?

Real analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides the foundation for calculus, which is used in many scientific and technological developments. Additionally, real analysis is essential for understanding and solving problems in optimization, probability, and statistics.