Need help in solving DC transients question (Electrical Engg)

• Thread starter thesidjway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult circuit problem involving parallel elements and the use of Laplace transforms to solve it. The participants discuss various methods of solving the problem, including redrawing the circuit and using differential equations. The conversation also touches on the initial conditions for the circuit and the correct values for voltage across the capacitor at different points in time. The original poster is also mentioned as being absent from the conversation.
thesidjway
http://i.imgur.com/nhBN1RJ.jpg << Huge image replaced with URL by Moderator >>

The attempt at a solution

I have been able to find
V(0+)=12
V(0-)=12
I(0-)=4

Not able to find a suitable way to get a general solution for Vc and Ix

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tough problem!

First off, like all circuits, redraw it so it doesn't look so intimidating.

Slide the switch a little to the left so it lines up vertically with R1.

Take R3, take it's vertical branches and make them horizontal so they are just above the switch and the inductor.
Clearly R3 and the capacitor are in parallel.

I would also slide the inductor to the bottom horizontal branch. When the switch closes, it is then clear that R3, the capacitor and the inductor are in paralell.

Perhaps that will get you started a bit...

1. determine the initial conditions on L and C.
2. sum currents to zero at the right-hand node (only) and you're off.

One unknown node, one equation.
Do you know Laplace transforms? You don't have to, but it helps.

rude man said:
1. determine the initial conditions on L and C.
2. sum currents to zero at the right-hand node (only) and you're off.

One unknown node, one equation.
Do you know Laplace transforms? You don't have to, but it helps.

Laplace transforms would definitely be the easy way...but I get the feeling he is in the differential equation part of his studies...also known as the hard way.

psparky said:
Laplace transforms would definitely be the easy way...but I get the feeling he is in the differential equation part of his studies...also known as the hard way.

Still only one equation & one unknown node.

I hope the answer to differentiation of Vc at t=0+ would be -2V/sec

lazyaditya said:

I got infinities for all the t = 0+ derivatives. I'll check it some more later.

Last edited:
lazyaditya said:
You hope?

The circuit can be resolved into one comprising 3 parallel elements, R, C, and L, then look up or work out the D.E. for that 2nd order system's step response. That is the only way I can see (or the Laplace equivalent).

NascentOxygen said:
You hope?

The circuit can be resolved into one comprising 3 parallel elements, R, C, and L,. ...

,,, plus a fourth element.

thesidjway said:
http://i.imgur.com/nhBN1RJ.jpg << Huge image replaced with URL by Moderator >>

The attempt at a solution

I have been able to find
V(0+)=12
V(0-)=12
I(0-)=4

Not able to find a suitable way to get a general solution for Vc and Ix

Your V(0+) and V(0-) are wrong. Hint: check sign on Vc(0+). Vc(0-) should be obvious. I assume by Vc is meant the right-hand side of C. If by "V(0+)" and "V(0-)" you just mean the voltage across C then you're OK.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
You hope?

The circuit can be resolved into one comprising 3 parallel elements, R, C, and L, then look up or work out the D.E. for that 2nd order system's step response. That is the only way I can see (or the Laplace equivalent).
I am sorry. I should have used "I think". I solved the problem roughly using general equation of voltage across capacitor Vc(t)=Vc(final)+[Vc(initial) - Vc(final)]e-t/RC. But after your reduced circuit i solved it in the following manner as per given in figures attached.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 414
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 441
  • photo 2(2).JPG
    photo 2(2).JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 421
  • photo 1(2).JPG
    photo 1(2).JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 411
rude man said:
As usual I can't make out people's writings. But if you still got dvc/dt = -2V/s. that is clearly incorrect. At t = 0+ there is a step change in Vc and the derivative of a step is the delta function which is infini
Vc is marked on the schematic as the voltage across the capacitor plates, by essentially a left-pointing arrow.

Vc(0-) = Vc(0+) = +12V

Immediately the switch is thrown, the current into the capacitor changes from 0 to 2A to the RHS plate, this equates to

dVc(0) /dt = -2 V/s

NascentOxygen said:
Vc is marked on the schematic as the voltage across the capacitor plates, by essentially a left-pointing arrow.

Vc(0-) = Vc(0+) = +12V

Immediately the switch is thrown, the current into the capacitor changes from 0 to 2A to the RHS plate, this equates to

dVc(0) /dt = -2 V/s

Yes. I was computing the voltge at the right-hand node. Either didn't see the vc as marked or it was added later.

Will look at the rest later, altho' the OP seems to have disappeared as usual.

lazyaditya said:
I am sorry. I should have used "I think". I solved the problem roughly using general equation of voltage across capacitor Vc(t)=Vc(final)+[Vc(initial) - Vc(final)]e-t/RC. But after your reduced circuit i solved it in the following manner as per given in figures attached.

Are you doing the rest? The OP seems to have gone AWOL.

1. What are DC transients in electrical engineering?

DC transients refer to the temporary response of a circuit to a sudden change in the DC voltage or current. This can be caused by events such as switching on or off a circuit, connecting or disconnecting a load, or introducing a fault in the circuit. The transient response typically lasts for a short period of time before the circuit reaches a steady state.

2. How do I solve DC transient problems?

Solving DC transient problems involves using circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, to determine the voltage and current values at different points in the circuit. This information can then be used to calculate the transient response of the circuit. It is important to also consider the initial conditions of the circuit, such as the voltage and current values before the transient occurs.

3. What is the time constant in DC transients?

The time constant in DC transients refers to the amount of time it takes for the voltage or current in a circuit to reach 63.2% of its final value after a sudden change. It is calculated by dividing the inductance or capacitance of the circuit by its resistance. The time constant is an important factor in determining the speed of the transient response.

4. How do inductors and capacitors affect DC transients?

Inductors and capacitors play a significant role in DC transients as they can store energy and release it during a transient event. Inductors resist changes in current, causing a voltage spike during a sudden change in current, while capacitors resist changes in voltage, causing a voltage dip during a sudden change in voltage. These effects can alter the transient response of a circuit.

5. Can simulation software be used to solve DC transient problems?

Yes, simulation software can be a helpful tool in solving DC transient problems. These programs use mathematical models to simulate the behavior of a circuit and can provide accurate results for complex circuits. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions of the software in order to interpret the results correctly.