1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on a forces and equilibrium question

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    attachment.php?attachmentid=197381.jpg

Its part B that I'm not sure about.

I know how to do it. But I'm confused about why the support force is not acting vertically upwards (so no horizontal component).

I assumed that the support force would always be directly perpendicular to the ground/slope/wall.

Can someone explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently the lower end of the girder is not free to slide along the ground. Maybe it's digging into the ground or perhaps, it's prevented from sliding to the left by some obstruction.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    does this count as surface friction of the ground, or is it totally different?

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It could be friction, it could be some obstruction against which the beam is resting, whatever.

6. Feb 7, 2013 #5
    oh I see then, so the only reason why the support force in this question isn't acting perpendicular is because the ground isn't totally smooth, right?

7. Feb 7, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the purpose of this problem, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook