1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on understanding cone geometry

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a right circular cone with origin at the centre of the base, the positive z-axis pointing towards the apex, and the height is h and radius of base is r. What is the cartesian equation of the cone?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The equation that I get is (h-z)^2 = (h/r)^2 (x^2+y^2). Can anyone confirm this?

Assuming that my above equation is correct, how is it that the general equation of a cone is instead x^2 + y^2 = z^2? Where did the extra terms from the first equation go to?

Also, what significance does it bring when the equation of a cone becomes ax^2 + by^2 = (h-cz)^2? If I compare it with the equation i obtained, I suppose that this should mean that the height of the cone is equal to its base radius? What about the constants a, b, c; what do they represent in the physical sense?

Thanks much!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation looks fine to me. x^2 + y^2 = z^2 is the equation a 45 degree cone with apex at the origin. Not very general. And for this one, ax^2 + by^2 = (h-cz)^2, if a!=b, that's a vertical cone (axis along z) with an elliptical cross-section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?