How do I find the intersection of three cones?

In summary, the researcher is looking for a way to find the intersection of three cones. He has tried solving three simultaneous cone equations in terms of the most relevant coordinate system and input data, but gets stuck. He is also Unsure of how to proceed. Google is his friend, as he found helpful articles on intersections of cones in three space.
Loubrainz

Homework Statement

tl;dr: looking for a way to find the intersection of three cones.

I'm currently working with a team to build a Compton camera and I've taken up the deadly task of image reconstruction.

Background Theory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering
For a single Compton scattering experiment, photons from a source deflect off of the surface electrons of some object, imparting some of its energy, and then enters a detector. The scattering angle are energy are related by the second formula found in that web page. So for a source with a known photopeak, the angle of scatter can be deduced by the amount the photopeak has shifted.

Problem:
We intend to use three detectors in tandem to pinpoint the location of a source. The scattering angle could be horizontal or vertical. Therefore, we want to find the point of intersection of three cones (given the position of their apexes and opening angles).
To begin with, the apexes of these cones will lie on a single x-y plane and all have the same axes (like in the picture), but then I want to generalise it to cones of any position and direction (such as in an equilateral triangle, pointing inwards).

Homework Equations

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cone.html
The equation of a cone with apex position (x0,y0,z0) and axis parallel to the z-axis is: (x - x0)^2 + (y - y0)^2 = c^2 (z - z0)^2, where c is the cone gradient: c = r/h, r being the radius of the base circle and h being the perpendicular height of the cone. The opening angle is theta = 2*arctan(c). I have no idea how to include axis vector/angle into that, or how to get purely in terms of the most relevant coordinate system and input data.

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly this involves a) solving three simultaneous cone equations in terms of the most relevant coordinate system and input data or b) modelling the cones in Matlab and determining the intersect computationally. Both of these I get stuck with and lack confidence to continue. The additionally degree of freedom granted by the arbitrary cone axes makes it more confusing.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 3cone.jpg
    3cone.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
Loubrainz said:

Homework Statement

tl;dr: looking for a way to find the intersection of three cones.

I'm currently working with a team to build a Compton camera and I've taken up the deadly task of image reconstruction.

Background Theory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering
For a single Compton scattering experiment, photons from a source deflect off of the surface electrons of some object, imparting some of its energy, and then enters a detector. The scattering angle are energy are related by the second formula found in that web page. So for a source with a known photopeak, the angle of scatter can be deduced by the amount the photopeak has shifted.

Problem:
We intend to use three detectors in tandem to pinpoint the location of a source. The scattering angle could be horizontal or vertical. Therefore, we want to find the point of intersection of three cones (given the position of their apexes and opening angles).
To begin with, the apexes of these cones will lie on a single x-y plane and all have the same axes (like in the picture), but then I want to generalise it to cones of any position and direction (such as in an equilateral triangle, pointing inwards).

Homework Equations

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cone.html
The equation of a cone with apex position (x0,y0,z0) and axis parallel to the z-axis is: (x - x0)^2 + (y - y0)^2 = c^2 (z - z0)^2, where c is the cone gradient: c = r/h, r being the radius of the base circle and h being the perpendicular height of the cone. The opening angle is theta = 2*arctan(c). I have no idea how to include axis vector/angle into that, or how to get purely in terms of the most relevant coordinate system and input data.

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly this involves a) solving three simultaneous cone equations in terms of the most relevant coordinate system and input data or b) modelling the cones in Matlab and determining the intersect computationally. Both of these I get stuck with and lack confidence to continue. The additionally degree of freedom granted by the arbitrary cone axes makes it more confusing.

What do you think?
Google is your friend. See, eg.,
https://mathoverflow.net/questions/120126/intersection-of-cones-in-three-space
or
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.487.5298&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. How do I find the intersection of three cones using mathematical equations?

The intersection of three cones can be found by solving the system of equations formed by the three cone equations. The intersection point(s) will satisfy all three equations simultaneously.

2. Is there a specific method for finding the intersection of three cones?

Yes, there are various methods for finding the intersection of three cones, such as using substitution or elimination to solve the system of equations, or using geometric techniques such as graphing or visualizing the cones in 3D space.

3. What information do I need to find the intersection of three cones?

You will need the equations of the three cones, which can be in the form of a general cone equation (x^2 + y^2 = z^2) or a more specific form (such as a right circular cone). You will also need basic knowledge of algebra and geometry to solve the equations.

4. Can the intersection of three cones be a single point?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of three cones to be a single point. This occurs when the three cones intersect at a single point in space.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the intersection of three cones?

Yes, finding the intersection of three cones has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to determine the optimal angle for a satellite dish or to calculate the volume of a cone-shaped object.