Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help plotting a 4th order polynomial

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    I need help from someone with a graphing calculator. My little brother lost my graphing calculator and synthetic division I can't make work becasue the terms aren't exactly friendly. The equation is,

24.059025x^4 + 94.98287069x^3 + 44.56696001x^2 - 827.1103204x = -1067.832496

The more precise the x value the better, since it is a engineering type problem.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have access to a spreadsheet you can use that.

RGV

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good news. There's no real solution.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5
    Thats bad news. I worked through two full pages of nasty algebra to get it to a simplified polynomial state, not to mention the four previous pages of prior calculations. Maybe I made a simple algebra mistake. I'm dreading having to go back and waste more time on this problem.

Thanks Ray for the spread sheet suggestion. I always knew excel could work with polynomials but never used it. This problem forced me to learn how to use it, very powerful tool. Excel gave me a value but not anything close to what I had expected.

Thanks again for eveyones help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook