Need help plotting a 4th order polynomial

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with a graphing calculator as they lost theirs and is struggling with synthetic division for a complex equation. They mention the importance of a precise x value for their engineering problem. Another person suggests using a spreadsheet for the calculations. However, upon trying it, the speaker realizes there is no real solution and is disappointed after putting in a lot of effort to simplify the equation. They thank the others for their help.
david martin
I need help from someone with a graphing calculator. My little brother lost my graphing calculator and synthetic division I can't make work becasue the terms aren't exactly friendly. The equation is,

24.059025x^4 + 94.98287069x^3 + 44.56696001x^2 - 827.1103204x = -1067.832496

The more precise the x value the better, since it is a engineering type problem.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
david martin said:
I need help from someone with a graphing calculator. My little brother lost my graphing calculator and synthetic division I can't make work becasue the terms aren't exactly friendly. The equation is,

24.059025x^4 + 94.98287069x^3 + 44.56696001x^2 - 827.1103204x = -1067.832496

The more precise the x value the better, since it is a engineering type problem.

Thanks,

If you have access to a spreadsheet you can use that.

RGV

Good news. There's no real solution.

SammyS said:
Good news. There's no real solution.

Thats bad news. I worked through two full pages of nasty algebra to get it to a simplified polynomial state, not to mention the four previous pages of prior calculations. Maybe I made a simple algebra mistake. I'm dreading having to go back and waste more time on this problem.

Thanks Ray for the spread sheet suggestion. I always knew excel could work with polynomials but never used it. This problem forced me to learn how to use it, very powerful tool. Excel gave me a value but not anything close to what I had expected.

Thanks again for eveyones help

1. What is a 4th order polynomial?

A 4th order polynomial is an algebraic expression with the form ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is a variable raised to different powers. This type of polynomial has a degree of 4 and can have up to four turning points.

2. How do I plot a 4th order polynomial?

To plot a 4th order polynomial, you will need to first determine the values of the constants a, b, c, d, and e. Then, create a table of x and y values by plugging in different values for x and solving for y using the polynomial equation. Finally, plot the points on a graph and connect them to create a smooth curve.

3. What is the purpose of plotting a 4th order polynomial?

The purpose of plotting a 4th order polynomial is to visually represent the relationship between the independent variable (x) and dependent variable (y) in a polynomial function. This can help analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values at different inputs.

4. What are some common mistakes when plotting a 4th order polynomial?

Some common mistakes when plotting a 4th order polynomial include incorrectly determining the values of the constants, using incorrect x and y values in the table, and misinterpreting the shape of the curve. It is important to double check calculations and use a sufficient number of points to accurately represent the curve.

5. Can I use a computer to plot a 4th order polynomial?

Yes, you can use a computer or graphing calculator to plot a 4th order polynomial. Simply input the polynomial equation into the calculator or graphing software and it will automatically generate a graph. However, it is still important to understand the steps involved in manually plotting a polynomial in case of errors or for a better understanding of the function.