1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help plotting a 4th order polynomial

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    I need help from someone with a graphing calculator. My little brother lost my graphing calculator and synthetic division I can't make work becasue the terms aren't exactly friendly. The equation is,

24.059025x^4 + 94.98287069x^3 + 44.56696001x^2 - 827.1103204x = -1067.832496

The more precise the x value the better, since it is a engineering type problem.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have access to a spreadsheet you can use that.

RGV

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good news. There's no real solution.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5
    Thats bad news. I worked through two full pages of nasty algebra to get it to a simplified polynomial state, not to mention the four previous pages of prior calculations. Maybe I made a simple algebra mistake. I'm dreading having to go back and waste more time on this problem.

Thanks Ray for the spread sheet suggestion. I always knew excel could work with polynomials but never used it. This problem forced me to learn how to use it, very powerful tool. Excel gave me a value but not anything close to what I had expected.

Thanks again for eveyones help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook