1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help preparing for graduate school

1. Jan 2, 2016 #1
    Greetings,

I recently got my Bachelors in Physics, and took a year off to help my family move out of state. The move is complete, and I am looking into Master's programs. My question is how can I effectively prepare for this? I don't think my skills have declined terribly, but I know they aren't what they were, and could use sharpening. Also, I would like to ask which Classical Mechanics text I could consider. As an undergrad, we used Marion and Thornton's "Classical Dynamics of Particle's and Systems", and I hated it. I want a book that is clear and explains the concepts well. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2
    I can't help all that much as an undergraduate student, but if you're looking for a text on classical mechanics try looking into the textbook sub-forum under homework help and look through the free physics online textbook thread. It's a very well compiled list of invaluable resources overall. If you're looking for a textbook recommendation, you can also find that in the sub-forum.

4. Jan 3, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply Thewindyfan, I appreciate your input. I will look in there and see what I can find. If anybody else has some suggestions about preparing for Graduate School, I would sincerely appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook