Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help regarding automatic transmission

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1
    hiiii..........
    i needed some help in collecting some articles related to automatic transmission......i need the basic idea of it,and comparison with manual transmission...........

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    can i have a basic idea of preparing ppt about automatic transmission.......what an all should be included in it

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4
    The following web site has a good discussion of the various types of continuusly variable transmissions (CVTs)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission [Broken]
    None of the CVTs have efficiencies as high as manual transmissions: about 96% in all but the 1:1 gear which is about 98%. Manufactirers of CVTs will not disclose the efficiencies of their designs; it is proprietary.

Note that manual transmissions in standard automobiles do not require water cooling. If a particular CVT requires water cooling, that is proof that it is less efficient than a manual transmission.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook