Need help Simplifying this Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the transformation of -(s-i) to s-i. The person asking the question provides a link to the solutions provided, which show the factoring of -1 as the reason for the transformation. They also mention that they initially panicked about the transformation, but were able to work it out.
JieXian
Hi, I've already worked out the question until part (a) but I don't understand how they go from (a) to (b) right at the bottom of the image.

How did they change -s + i to s - i ?

[PLAIN]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9366/unledrze.png

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is -(s - i) ?

SammyS said:
What is -(s - i) ?

Sorry to not have specified earlier.

s is a constant (complex argument s for Laplace transform) and i is the imaginary number.

Here's the solutions they provided. I though I should show you the bigger picture.

[PLAIN]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7600/captureir.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was not the point! SammyS was trying to get you to see that they went from -s+i to s- i by factoring out a "-1": -(s- i)= -s+ i.

Ok thanks a lot hahahaha I feel so stupid.

Actually I was panicking about the (-s + i)^2 to (s - i)^2 change at the denominator. Now I've just worked it out to be equal...

Thanks a lot.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

Simplifying an equation helps to make it easier to understand and solve. It also allows us to see the relationships between different variables more clearly.

2. How do I know when an equation is simplified?

An equation is considered simplified when it cannot be further reduced or written in a simpler form.

3. What are the basic steps for simplifying an equation?

The basic steps for simplifying an equation are to combine like terms, use the distributive property, and use the order of operations to simplify any remaining expressions.

4. Why is it important to check your work when simplifying an equation?

Checking your work helps to ensure that you have not made any errors during the simplification process. It also allows you to verify that your final answer is correct.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an equation include forgetting to distribute negative signs, making errors with exponents, and not following the correct order of operations.