Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help solving CDF (Cumulative distribution function)

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    Hello, im new. I been looking on the net for a guide how to solve the CDF by hand, i know the answer and im about to crack this baby but I got stuck....

Im trying to calculate Cumulative distribution function by hand:
    [itex]\int^{1}_{-1}\frac{1}{2\pi} e^{\frac{-z^{2}}{2}} dz[/itex] or wolfram alpha: integrate 1/sqrt(2*pi) * e^(-z^2 /2) dz from -1 to 1

Anyway, this is the tricky part, how do this? (I left out the lefthand part above part for easier readability):

[itex]\int e^{\frac{-z^{2}}{2}} dz = [/itex]

[itex]u = \frac{-z^{2}}{2} [/itex]

[itex]du = -z dz[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{-z} = dz[/itex]

[itex]\int e^{u} \frac{du}{-z} = [/itex]

then? How do i need to do?. Can any friendly soul here show me step by step how to solve this?

best regrads
    invictor

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can define
    [tex]\operatorname{erf}(x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt[/tex]
    and express the result in terms of that, getting [itex]\operatorname{erf}(1/\sqrt{2})[/itex] as the answer.

You cannot give a (more) exact answer than that (otherwise we wouldn't be needing erf in the first place).

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Ok so now you have the CDF in terms of the error function erf(/frac{1}{/sqrt{2}}) what is the associating PDF?

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The density function for the error function is the normal density function, which is the integrand you started with.

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5
    Thanks i got it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook