Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help solving functional analysis problem

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    hello everyone!
    I had a stuck in solving problem for a week now, so need help.
    Please help!

the problem is as follows.

In a closed interval [itex]I=[0,\pi][/itex], the 2-times continuously differentiable function [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] meet the following conditions (they're ranged in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]).

[itex]\psi ''(x)+\psi(x)=\phi ''(x)+\phi(x)=0[/itex]

Assume [itex]f(x)[/itex] be a continuous function defined in [itex]I[/itex], and let [itex]G(x,y), u(x)[/itex] as followings.
    [tex]G(x,y)=\Bigg\{\begin{array}{l}\phi(x)\psi(y)\quad (0\leq y\leq x\leq \pi) \\ \psi(x)\phi(y)\quad (0\leq x\leq y\leq \pi) \end{array}
    \\\\
    u(x)=\int^\pi_0 G(x,y)f(y)dy[/tex]

Now my question is, what would be a proof for the equation: [itex]u''(x)+u(x)=Wf(x)[/itex] (for [itex]\exists W[/itex] is a constant).

I found u''(x)+u(x) constantly becomes 0 (for reason that [itex]u''(x)=\displaystyle{\int^\pi_0 \frac{\partial^2G(x,y)}{\partial{x}^2}f(y)dy} = -u(x)[/itex]).

Any hidden concept or my ignorance makes this so hard?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    [tex]
    u(x)=\int^\pi_0 G(x,y)f(y)dy = \int_0^x G(x, y) f(y) dy+ \int_x^{\pi} G(x, y) f(y) dy
    \\ = \int_0^x \phi(x) \psi(y) f(y) dy+ \int_x^{\pi} \psi(x) \phi(y) f(y) dy
    \\ = \phi(x) \int_0^x \psi(y) f(y) dy+ \psi(x)\int_x^{\pi} \phi(y) f(y) dy
    [/tex]

Differentiate this carefully and you will see that your conclusion ## u''(x) = -u(x) ## is incorrect.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    >voko
    with your denotation, I found that [itex]u''=-u+(\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi)f[/itex] conveys the 1st differencial of [itex]\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi[/itex]equals to 0 leads its constancy.
    Thank you!

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4
    ##\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi ## is not zero generally. It is a constant. The two functions are solutions of y'' + y = 0, and the general form of the solution is well known. Use it to prove the constancy of ##\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook