Need help to start with Healpix on IDL and Windows 7

In summary, Chalnoth was having trouble installing Healpix on Windows, and found that the easiest way was to install Linux in a dual-boot configuration. He also found that, if you really want to use IDL in Windows, the two ways to do it are to use a Windows install of IDL or to use a Linux install of IDL which is placed within cygwin. Finally, Chalnoth recommended Ubuntu, Mint, or OpenSuse, depending on your preferences.
fineTuner
Hello,
i'm an astrophysics student, and i need to create a CMB map using Planck data. I have to use Healpix on IDL.
I'm new in IDL, but I'm learning the basics, and i haven't particular problems.
My problem is with Healpix: i can't understand what is the right procedure of installation (on Windows 7). I followed the guide but i can't complete it, because is mainly focused on Linux systems. I don't know what to do after installing cgwin and all the requested packages. The guide is here: http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/install.htm#SECTION00071000000000000000
Is there someone who has already installed it on Windows?

Thanks for your attention.

Space news on Phys.org
fineTuner said:
Hello,
i'm an astrophysics student, and i need to create a CMB map using Planck data. I have to use Healpix on IDL.
I'm new in IDL, but I'm learning the basics, and i haven't particular problems.
My problem is with Healpix: i can't understand what is the right procedure of installation (on Windows 7). I followed the guide but i can't complete it, because is mainly focused on Linux systems. I don't know what to do after installing cgwin and all the requested packages. The guide is here: http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/install.htm#SECTION00071000000000000000
Is there someone who has already installed it on Windows?

Thanks for your attention.
Honestly, your best bet is to just install Linux. It's pretty easy these days to set up a system for dual-boot Windows/Linux. Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle to install Linux, but so much AP work is done in Linux that it's probably a good idea, even if it takes longer this time around than getting Healpix to work.

That said, if you really want to use IDL in Windows, I can see two ways of doing it:
1. Use a Windows install of IDL, and manually point that install to your Healpix installation under cygwin. This will be a little bit hairy, but not too horrible.
2. Use a Linux install of IDL which is placed within cygwin, and install Healpix as you would under Linux. The problem with this is, I have no idea whatsoever if IDL will work under cygwin.

By the way, you'd get Healpix to work under Windows by adjusting the Healpix startup file and pointing IDL to it:
http://www.idlcoyote.com/misc_tips/idl_startupfile.php

The main issue here is that you'd have to make sure the file paths point to their Windows file paths, not the cygwin virtual file paths.

Thank you Chalnoth!
I think the easiest way is to install Linux in dual boot configuration. Tomorrow i'll install Linux, and then i'll try again (i'd like to try with GDL, is that a good idea?).

fineTuner said:
Thank you Chalnoth!
I think the easiest way is to install Linux in dual boot configuration. Tomorrow i'll install Linux, and then i'll try again (i'd like to try with GDL, is that a good idea?).
I'd suggest Ubuntu, Mint, or OpenSuse, personally. Ubuntu and Mint are perhaps the most popular Linux distributions (not including Chrome OS and Android...), and so are likely to have the fewest issues and headaches. OpenSuse I have a soft spot for because of its graphical administration tools (most other distributions rely more heavily on config file changes and the like for low-level configuration).

I don't know much of anything about GDL, but I will say that gaming on Linux is always a spotty proposition, but all of the above distributions will work well regardless.

I got an e-mail notification that you'd sent a reply, but it seems to have disappeared. Did you figure it out? In Linux, you type "hidl" to execute IDL with the Healpix environment variables enabled.

Hi Chalnoth,
yes i sent a reply but i made some mistakes so i deleted it, sorry.
I've installed Ubuntu and GDL and I'm learning to use it. I also downloaded the Healpix folder and I'm trying to install it (i'm following the official guide). I unpacked the folder, its path is: diamanti@diamanti-desktop:~/Healpix_3.11
Then i run the "./configure" command and i selected the IDL option and i chose the programs for visualization etc.
After that the program reported the following lines:
Generating /home/diamanti/Healpix_3.11/src/idl/visu/idl_default_previewer.pro

Generating /home/diamanti/.healpix/3_11_Linux/idl.sh
containing:
# IDL configuration for HEALPix sab 27 lug 2013, 14.44.47, CEST
# make sure IDL related variables are global
export IDL_PATH IDL_STARTUP
# back up original IDL config, or give default value
OIDL_PATH="${IDL_PATH-}"
OIDL_STARTUP="${IDL_STARTUP}"
# create Healpix IDL config, and return to original config after running Healpix- enhanced IDL
HIDL_PATH="+${HEALPIX}/src/idl:${OIDL_PATH}"
HIDL_STARTUP="${HEALPIX}/src/idl/HEALPix_startup"
alias hidl="IDL_PATH=\"${HIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${HIDL_STARTUP} ; idl ; IDL_PATH=\"${OIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${OIDL_STARTUP} "
alias hidlde="IDL_PATH=\"${HIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${HIDL_STARTUP} ; idlde ; IDL_PATH=\"${OIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${OIDL_STARTUP} "

Then i tried to test it, but the problem is that the "hidl" command doesn't work:

GDL> hidl
% Procedure not found: HIDL
% Execution halted at: $MAIN$

The guide says that this problem can be solved, but i can't understand how. See here: http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/install.htm#SECTION00076000000000000000

In my opinion, the problem is in the different paths of GDL and Healpix, ,maybe i have to change them?
What does "Healpix environment variables enabled" means?

I'm sorry, I'm trying to learn, but everytime i solve a problem, i find other problems :S

fineTuner said:
Hi Chalnoth,
yes i sent a reply but i made some mistakes so i deleted it, sorry.
I've installed Ubuntu and GDL and I'm learning to use it. I also downloaded the Healpix folder and I'm trying to install it (i'm following the official guide). I unpacked the folder, its path is: diamanti@diamanti-desktop:~/Healpix_3.11
Then i run the "./configure" command and i selected the IDL option and i chose the programs for visualization etc.
After that the program reported the following lines:

Generating /home/diamanti/Healpix_3.11/src/idl/visu/idl_default_previewer.pro

Generating /home/diamanti/.healpix/3_11_Linux/idl.sh
containing:
# IDL configuration for HEALPix sab 27 lug 2013, 14.44.47, CEST
# make sure IDL related variables are global
export IDL_PATH IDL_STARTUP
# back up original IDL config, or give default value
OIDL_PATH="${IDL_PATH-}"
OIDL_STARTUP="${IDL_STARTUP}"
# create Healpix IDL config, and return to original config after running Healpix- enhanced IDL
HIDL_PATH="+${HEALPIX}/src/idl:${OIDL_PATH}"
HIDL_STARTUP="${HEALPIX}/src/idl/HEALPix_startup"
alias hidl="IDL_PATH=\"${HIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${HIDL_STARTUP} ; idl ; IDL_PATH=\"${OIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${OIDL_STARTUP} "
alias hidlde="IDL_PATH=\"${HIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${HIDL_STARTUP} ; idlde ; IDL_PATH=\"${OIDL_PATH}\" ; IDL_STARTUP=${OIDL_STARTUP} "

Then i tried to test it, but the problem is that the "hidl" command doesn't work:

GDL> hidl
% Procedure not found: HIDL
% Execution halted at: $MAIN$

The guide says that this problem can be solved, but i can't understand how. See here: http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/install.htm#SECTION00076000000000000000

In my opinion, the problem is in the different paths of GDL and Healpix, ,maybe i have to change them?
What does "Healpix environment variables enabled" means?

I'm sorry, I'm trying to learn, but everytime i solve a problem, i find other problems :S
Okay, this is a bit of a problem. I've always had an IDL license through the university I worked with. GDL is a bit dicier. Read up on it here:
http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/install.htm#SECTION00078000000000000000

Yes, i read the whole guide, and there is only that section about GDL. I decided to use GDL because i don't have IDL for Linux, but only for Windows. Well, i'll try to find another solution!

fineTuner said:
Yes, i read the whole guide, and there is only that section about GDL. I decided to use GDL because i don't have IDL for Linux, but only for Windows. Well, i'll try to find another solution!
You can't get IDL for Linux through your school?

I've never tried to get it to work with GDL myself, personally, as I've always had access to an IDL license through the school when I've needed one.

1. What is Healpix?

Healpix is a software package used for analyzing and manipulating data that is organized on the sphere. It is commonly used in astronomy and cosmology for large-scale sky surveys.

2. How can I start using Healpix on IDL?

To start using Healpix on IDL, you will need to download and install the IDL Astronomy User's Library, which includes the Healpix library. Once installed, you can then import the library into your IDL session and begin using Healpix functions.

3. Can I use Healpix on Windows 7?

Yes, Healpix can be used on Windows 7. However, you will need to make sure you have the appropriate software installed, such as IDL and the IDL Astronomy User's Library, as well as any necessary dependencies.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to use Healpix?

While prior knowledge or experience in astronomy or cosmology may be helpful, it is not necessary to use Healpix. However, basic knowledge of IDL and programming concepts is recommended for a smoother learning experience.

5. Are there any tutorials or resources available for learning how to use Healpix on IDL?

Yes, there are several tutorials and resources available online for learning how to use Healpix on IDL. Some helpful resources include the official Healpix website, the IDL Astronomy User's Library documentation, and various online tutorials and forums.