1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding finding this force using trig

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The block resting on the inclined plane shown has a mass of 40kg. Determine the maximum and minimum value of P for which the block is in equilibrium. (fs=0.35 and θ=25°)

The image on top is the diagram in the book and the image below it is my free-body diagram (not too sure if the Fr (friction) force is correct though)

prob_zpsu89wywac.png

3. Attempt at the solution
    Now my problem isn't exactly but how to solve this, since I found the solution online. My question is more about the trigonometry used to find some of the forces in this diagram. I found that the w (the weight) is of course (40)(9.8) = 392.4. Now the question is this:

The solution and the book claims that N=(392.4)(cos 25) = 355.64. However I am confused because if I say that:
    cos 25 = a/h (N)
    cos 25 = 392.4/h
    h=392.4/cos 25 = 432.97
    Which is incorrect. Can some explain why in my mind, I am 100% that this equation does indeed solve for the hypotenuse, yet the book claims that it is the product of the two? Is my free-body diagram wrong? I am certain i that it isn't (except maybe the friction force which may be wrong). Once I understand this I am sure I can better understand the solution to this problem and other similar problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are using the wrong triangle to calculate the components of the weight. (A very common error, by the way, so don't feel bad.) Note that when you resolve a vector (in this case the weight) into components using a right triangle, the full vector is always the hypotenuse of that triangle.

Read this: Inclined Planes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted