Need help/varify on a torque/moment of inertia problem

• Thread starter iamtrojan3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, a force of 15N is applied tangentially to the edge of a 0.88kg solid disc initially at rest. The radius of the disc is 0.55m. Using the equation Torque= Lever arm x Force applied, the torque is calculated to be 8.25Nm. By using the equation Torque = alpha x I, the angular acceleration is found to be 62 rad/s^2. After completing 3 rotations, or 6pi radians, the final angular velocity is calculated to be 48.35 rad/s.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

Hi, this is my first time on this forum, so don't flame me for not doing things right. I'm a junior in high school and currently taking AP physics, this problem in my hwk has been bothering me for a while. I've never received the answer to this question and i just need to know if i did this right, since this is really the first moment of inertia problem i encountered...
the problem is:
A force of 15N is applied tangentially to the edge of a 0.88kg solid disc initially at rest. The radius of the disc is 0.55m. How fast will the disc be spinning after it has gone 3.0 complete rotations? (disregard all the friction/air resistance etc.)

Homework Equations

Torque = I (alpha) from F=ma
W^2= Wo^2 + 2 (alpha)(theta)
Torque= Lever arm x Force applied

The Attempt at a Solution

The moment of Inertia of a solid disc is I=1/2mr^2 >> I=1/2(0.88)(0.55^2) >> I=0.1331
Torque= Lever arm x Force applied Torque= 15N x 0.55m = 8.25Nm
Torque = alpha x I >>> 8.25= alpha x 0.1331 >>> alpha = 62 (this doesn't look right )
Then just use Kenematic Equations
since 3 rotations is 6pi
W^2=Wo^2x2(alpha)(Theta)
W^2=0(62)(6pi)>>> W= 48.35radians/sec (this doesn't look right either )

Feel free to correct me on watever...i admitt, i suck/hate these problems.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me, but it is always easy to follow someone's work and make the same simple mistake they did.

Hi there,

First of all, it's great that you are seeking help and verifying your work. That shows a strong dedication to understanding the material and improving your skills. Let's take a look at your solution and see if we can make any corrections or improvements.

Your moment of inertia calculation looks correct. It's important to note that the moment of inertia of a solid disc is actually 1/2mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. This is because the disc has a uniform mass distribution, so the moment of inertia is calculated using the average radius (0.55m in this case).

Next, let's look at your calculation of torque. You correctly used the formula torque = lever arm x force applied. However, the lever arm in this case is not the radius of the disc, but rather the distance from the pivot point (center of the disc) to the point where the force is applied. In this case, the force is applied tangentially to the edge of the disc, so the lever arm is equal to the radius of the disc (0.55m). Therefore, the torque should be 15N x 0.55m = 8.25Nm.

Now, let's move on to the calculation of angular acceleration (alpha). You correctly used the formula torque = alpha x moment of inertia. However, your units are not consistent. Torque is measured in Nm, while moment of inertia is measured in kgm^2. In order to get the units to match, you need to convert the mass from kg to N (multiply by 9.8m/s^2, the acceleration due to gravity). This gives you a torque of 8.25Nm, and a moment of inertia of 8.63kgm^2. Now, you can solve for alpha: 8.25Nm = alpha x 8.63kgm^2, which gives you an angular acceleration of 0.96 rad/s^2.

Finally, let's look at your use of the kinematic equation. You correctly used the formula w^2 = wo^2 + 2(alpha)(theta). However, you made a small mistake in your calculation of theta. Each rotation is equal to 2pi radians, so 3 rotations is equal to 6pi radians. Plugging in the values, we get w^2 = 0^2 + 2(0.96

1. What is torque and how is it related to moment of inertia?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. Moment of inertia, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is directly proportional to the object's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do I calculate torque and moment of inertia for a given object?

To calculate torque, you can use the formula T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. To calculate moment of inertia, you can use the formula I = m x r^2, where I is moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Can you provide an example of a torque/moment of inertia problem?

Sure, let's say you have a door that is 2 meters tall and 1 meter wide, with a mass of 20 kilograms. If you push on the door with a force of 50 newtons at a distance of 0.5 meters from the hinges, what is the torque and moment of inertia of the door? Using the formulas mentioned above, we can calculate that the torque would be 25 newton-meters and the moment of inertia would be 10 kilogram-meters squared.

4. Is there a difference between torque and moment of inertia for different shapes of objects?

Yes, there is a difference. Torque is dependent on the force and distance from the axis of rotation, while moment of inertia also takes into account the shape and mass distribution of the object. Objects with different shapes and mass distributions will have different moment of inertia values, even if the applied force and distance are the same.

5. Why is understanding torque and moment of inertia important in science?

Torque and moment of inertia are important concepts in science because they help us understand the behavior of objects in rotational motion. They are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics to analyze and design systems that involve rotational motion. Understanding these concepts allows us to predict and control the motion of objects, which is crucial in many practical applications.