Spinning top's moment of inertia I (disc on shaft )

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
lena_2509
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Finding the moment of inertia for an Spinning top
Relevant Equations
L = r x F
I hope you guys can help me with this problem..

A top in the form of a flat, circular disc spins on a shaft that is inclined at an angle alpha to the vertical.
Now I have to find the moment of inertia I for the disc about its centre on the shaft.

My attempt was building I with spherical coordinates (r= length of the shaft, phi= \omega t , theta= angle to the vertical) But I think that's just the Point the vector r is pointing to the center of the disc ? :rolleyes:

244485
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How about you start with the definition of moment of inertia? (Assuming you need to calculate it from first principles rather than just looking it up.)
 
yeah I did it before but my problem is that I don't know how to describe the x y and z values to put them in the moment of inertia
I used the definition below for I and put in the spherical coordinates
 
Attachments
  • Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 408
Doc Al said:
Way too complicated! The moment of inertia of a disk is the same as that for a cylinder. See: Moment of Inertia: Thin Disk
thank you !
I know that the moment of inertia of a disc is the moment of inertia as a cylinder but how do i discribe the rotation of the disc when it spins on a shaft at an angle alpha?
The shaft of the spinning top would rotate on the coat of a cone i guess...
 
lena_2509 said:
but how do i discribe the rotation of the disc when it spins on a shaft at an angle alpha?
I'm not sure how detailed you need to be. Note that in part c they just refer to the direction the top is spinning as ##\hat r##.
 
Doc Al said:
I'm not sure how detailed you need to be. Note that in part c they just refer to the direction the top is spinning as ##\hat r##.
okay thank you ! maybe I thought too complicated ... thanks a lot !