Spinning top's moment of inertia I (disc on shaft )

In summary, a top in the form of a flat, circular disc spins on a shaft that is inclined at an angle alpha to the vertical. The moment of inertia of the disc is the same as that for a cylinder.
lena_2509
Homework Statement
Finding the moment of inertia for an Spinning top
Relevant Equations
L = r x F
I hope you guys can help me with this problem..

A top in the form of a flat, circular disc spins on a shaft that is inclined at an angle alpha to the vertical.
Now I have to find the moment of inertia I for the disc about its centre on the shaft.

My attempt was building I with spherical coordinates (r= length of the shaft, phi= \omega t , theta= angle to the vertical) But I think that's just the Point the vector r is pointing to the center of the disc ? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
How about you start with the definition of moment of inertia? (Assuming you need to calculate it from first principles rather than just looking it up.)

yeah I did it before but my problem is that I don't know how to describe the x y and z values to put them in the moment of inertia
I used the definition below for I and put in the spherical coordinates

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 291
Doc Al said:
Way too complicated! The moment of inertia of a disk is the same as that for a cylinder. See: Moment of Inertia: Thin Disk
thank you !
I know that the moment of inertia of a disc is the moment of inertia as a cylinder but how do i discribe the rotation of the disc when it spins on a shaft at an angle alpha?
The shaft of the spinning top would rotate on the coat of a cone i guess...

lena_2509 said:
but how do i discribe the rotation of the disc when it spins on a shaft at an angle alpha?
I'm not sure how detailed you need to be. Note that in part c they just refer to the direction the top is spinning as ##\hat r##.

Doc Al said:
I'm not sure how detailed you need to be. Note that in part c they just refer to the direction the top is spinning as ##\hat r##.
okay thank you ! maybe I thought too complicated ... thanks a lot !

1. What is the moment of inertia of a spinning top?

The moment of inertia of a spinning top, also known as its rotational inertia, is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass distribution and shape of the spinning top.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a spinning top calculated?

The moment of inertia of a spinning top can be calculated using the formula I = MR², where M is the mass of the spinning top and R is the distance from the axis of rotation to the edge of the spinning top.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a spinning top?

The moment of inertia of a spinning top is affected by its mass, shape, and the axis of rotation. A spinning top with a larger mass or a larger shape will have a higher moment of inertia, while a spinning top with a smaller axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a spinning top affect its spinning motion?

The moment of inertia of a spinning top affects its spinning motion by determining how quickly it can be set into motion and how long it will continue to spin. A spinning top with a higher moment of inertia will require more force to spin, but will also spin for a longer period of time due to its greater resistance to changes in motion.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a spinning top be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a spinning top can be changed by altering its mass, shape, or axis of rotation. For example, adding weight to the top or changing its shape can increase its moment of inertia, while moving the axis of rotation closer to the edge of the top can decrease its moment of inertia.