Need Help with a Basic Fluids Problem - Buoyancy and Archimedes' principle

In summary: If so, then when the tanks are full of air, the total buoyant force is equal to the weight of the water, which is 1000 kg. When the tanks are full of water, the total buoyant force is 1000 kg less because the weight of the water displaced is added to the buoyant force. 2000 Pressurized Hull + 600 Ballast Tanks = 2600 m3Volume ( 2600 m3 ) = 2.1*10^9 g / (1.025*(1000*1000*1000) g/m^3)In summary, the submarine has a total volume of 2.1 multiplied by 10^6 kg, including crew and equipment. The vessel consists of two parts
Jite
Good afternoon, I am having some trouble solving this basic fluids problem, and I am hoping you can look over my work, and offer some assistance.

Homework Statement

A submarine has a total mass of 2.1 multiplied by 10^6 kg, including crew and equipment. The vessel consists of two parts, the pressure hull, which has a volume of 2 multiplied by 10^3 m^3, and the ballast tanks, which have a volume of 6 multiplied by 10^2 m^3. When the sub cruises on the surface, the ballast tanks are filled with air. When cruising below the surface, seawater is admitted into the tanks. (Neglect the mass of air in the tanks and use 1.025 as the specific gravity of seawater.)

What fraction of the submarine's volume is above the water surface when the tanks are filled with air? (%)

Homework Equations

0da27be206af8796ac55da6eb87dd2e8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First I set the right hand side of the equation to 1, since the apparent weight will be zero because the submarine is floating on the surface and their will be no experienced force.

Therefore I have

p(sub) = p(sea water)

m(sub) / Volume (sub) = density of water

m(sub) / density of water = Volume of Sub Submerged in Water.

or

Volume Sub Submerged in water (m^3) = 2.1*10^9 g / (1.025*(1000*1000*1000) g/m^3)

But I get a Volume of 2.04 m^3,

or ~1% of the sub is submerged and ~99% of the sub is above water.

This answer is incorrect, and is intuitively wrong as I don't think a 200,000 kg 2m^3 block would float.

Thanks in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I would think about it slightly differently.

Your submarine has a total volume and the weight of the water it displaces is your buoyant force available.

Subtracting your dead weight then yields the amount of water that the submarine would need to submerge.

When completely filled with air then dead weight/total water weight displaced is your % of volume below the waterline then isn't it?

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am having a bit of trouble following you.

Here is how I am interpreting your strategy: I should find the total buoyant force when the sub is filled with enough water such that the sub's gravitational force is canceled out by the buoyant force.

I use the weight of water to find the dead weight (what do you mean by dead weight)?

Then I divide the dead-weight by the weight of the total displaced water?

Thanks again!

Jite said:
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am having a bit of trouble following you.

Here is how I am interpreting your strategy: I should find the total buoyant force when the sub is filled with enough water such that the sub's gravitational force is canceled out by the buoyant force.

I use the weight of water to find the dead weight (what do you mean by dead weight)?

Then I divide the dead-weight by the weight of the total displaced water?

Thanks again!

Not exactly ... I think.

Isn't the total volume times the density of sea water going to be equal to the amount of force available ... regardless of what weight may be inside?
If it's 0 weight inside then isn't the whole thing going to be floating? If the weight inside is say 2/3 then won't 2/3's be submerged and 1/3 out?

Given that thought, then what is your total volume? 2000 of the Pressurized Hull and 600 in the ballast tanks? = 2600 m3 ?

Isn't that volume times the sea water weight going to be it's total possible buoyant force? And you are only using just the carry weight when air is in the ballast?

1. What is buoyancy and how does it relate to Archimedes' principle?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object when it is placed in a fluid, such as water. Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. In other words, the more fluid an object displaces, the greater the buoyant force will be.

2. How do you calculate the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid and the acceleration due to gravity. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can you explain the concept of density and how it affects buoyancy?

Density is the measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. In the context of buoyancy, it is important because objects with a higher density than the fluid they are placed in will sink, while objects with a lower density will float. This is because the buoyant force is greater than or equal to the weight of the object, causing it to rise to the surface of the fluid.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its buoyancy. Objects with a larger surface area will displace more fluid and therefore experience a greater buoyant force. Additionally, objects with a shape that is more streamlined or concave will experience less resistance from the fluid and therefore have a greater buoyant force.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Archimedes' principle and buoyancy?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of Archimedes' principle and buoyancy. Some examples include ships and boats floating in water, hot air balloons rising in the air, and submarines changing their depth by controlling the amount of water they displace. Buoyancy is also important in understanding the behavior of fish and other marine animals in water.