1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help with a mathematical modeling question

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    This question deals with a 1-parameter equation:

fc(x)= (4/x)+(x/2)-c for 0≤c≤ 2.3

a.) Use algebra to find the positive fixed point p(c) of fc(x) (in terms of c) and identify its exact interval of existence

a.) Ok so for the fixed point I got p(c)= -c+√(c2+8) I'm not sure if this is correct though. I used the quadratic formula to find this after setting the initial equation equal to x and solving in terms of c. Now for the interval of existence I need to take the first derivative of the initial equation which I have as -4x-2+(1/2). Is this right? And I think I'm supposed to plug in the fixed point i have into this first derivative to get the interval of stability for c by setting an inequality up like: -1<c<1. This would be the interval of existence for the parameter c right? Please correct me if i'm making any mistakes. I can't do this last step because i end up getting ridiculous numbers.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2
    bump, anyone?

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3
    Hi,
    I do not know if you still need the help, but i found it interesting to see the answer :)

so from
    f(x) = x
    or
    4/x+x/2-c = x
    we have
    x^2+2cx-8 = 0
    or
    x = p(c) = -c+-sqrt{c^2+8}
    and since we are only looking for the positive solution we choose
    p(c) = -c+sqrt{c^2+8}

for the interval we choose the c such that the solution of x=f(x) exists
    or in other words that
    -1 < f'(x) < 1 , where x = p(c)

Since
    f'(x) = -4/(x^2)+1/2
    we have

-1 < -4/(2 c^2+8-2c sqrt{c^2+8})+1/2 < 1

from where we obtain
    0 < c < 2 sqrt{2/3}

I think this is correct, but if you stil need it I could check and make a better calculation.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. Jul 6, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand the question. You have found a solution of x = f(x) in terms of c, and it exists and is positive for all real values of c.

If you don't trust algebra and logic, try instead to use plotting: you can plot f(x) for any given value of c and see right away that the line y = x cuts the graph y = f(x) in just one point x > 0.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook