1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a quantum chemistry problem

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    I'm really struggling on even getting started on this problem. I have read the chapter several times now and I have tried to understand the explanations in the chapter. But I can't even get this problem started. All I ask is if anyone knows how to do this, can you just get me started or point me in the right direction so I can then take it from there?

Thanks for any help.

where |KHP> is the Hartree product corresponding to the determinant |K>, i.e.

|K> = |Xm(X1)Xn(X2)...>

and

|KHP> = Xm(X1)Xn(X2)...

Prove this theorem

This problem is from "Modern Quantum Chemistry" by Szabo & Ostlund for anyone who is wondering.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2
    I think I posted this question in the wrong part of these forums. I'm sorry about this.

4. Apr 10, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

Well, start by writing both sides out as integrals, which can be separated into sums of single-particle wave function-integrals, and see what cancels out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook