Need help with a simplification question

• Thread starter i-love-physics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a simplification problem where the exponent of (x+4) was disappeared. The solution involves factoring out (x+4)^2 and using the rule ab + ac = a(b+c). The person asking for help had not covered this rule before, but with the explanation, they were able to understand the solution.
i-love-physics

Homework Statement

*refer to attached drawing*

Homework Equations

*refer to attached drawing*

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically i don't understand how (x+4) exponent of 3 disappeared in the simplfication.

My attempts at solution were trying to expand the brackets and seeing if i could figure it out that way but i still couldn't.

Could someone please look at the attached picture and explain to me how that simplication occured. Or if you can not do that could you please tell me which chapters of my book i must read in order to understand it (my book covers all chapters of mathematics, so just tell me the relevant mathemathic topics please)

Greatly appreciated if someone could help us out.

Attachments

• how.JPG
    how.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
They factor (x + 4)2 out. Have you covered this:
ab + ac = a(b + c)?
If so, it goes like this:
[tex]\frac{3(x - 3) (x + 4) ^ 2 - 2 (x + 4) ^ 3}{(x - 3) ^ 3}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{3(x - 3) (x + 4) ^ 2 - 2 (x + 4) ^ 2 (x + 4)}{(x - 3) ^ 3}[/tex]
Now, we pull out the factor (x + 4)2, and arrive at:
[tex]= \frac{(x + 4) ^ 2 \left[ 3(x - 3) - 2 (x + 4) \right]}{(x - 3) ^ 3}[/tex]
Can you get it? :)

thanks

thank you so much vietdao
I can't believe the answer was so simple yet i was unable to see it
You have cleared up my brain vietdao
I have never factored numbers inside brackets before that's probably what my problem was.

Anyway, thanks mate!.

What is a simplification question?

A simplification question is a type of mathematical question that requires you to simplify an expression or equation by combining like terms or using the order of operations.

Why do I need help with a simplification question?

Simplification questions can be tricky and require a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts. It is common to seek help when encountering a difficult simplification question.

How do I approach a simplification question?

To approach a simplification question, start by identifying any like terms that can be combined. Then, use the order of operations to simplify the expression or equation step by step. It can also be helpful to write out the steps and show your work.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in simplification questions?

Common mistakes in simplification questions include forgetting to use the order of operations, incorrectly combining like terms, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and be careful with each step.

Can I use a calculator for simplification questions?

In most cases, calculators are not allowed for simplification questions as they are meant to test your understanding of basic mathematical concepts. However, if your teacher or professor permits it, you may use a calculator for more complicated calculations. It is always best to clarify with your instructor beforehand.