Need help with analysis (calculus, i think)

In summary: EBITDAChange in value = $2000.In summary, the conversation is about a newcomer seeking help with an analysis involving equations for changes in multiple and EBITDA in a company's total enterprise value. The formula A2B2=A1B1+ A1B + B1A + AB is provided as a solution, with the AB term being negligible if the changes in A and B are small. The conversation also includes a specific example of a company's change in multiple, EBITDA, and total enterprise value, with the question of how much of the TEV increase is attributable to the increase in multiple and how much is impacted by the decrease in EBITDA. The final answer is that the
lparrish3511
Hello all, I'm a newcomer here, but I'm trying to do an analysis and am having trouble coming up with an equation/calculation that I feel confident addresses what I need...

Assuming in period one that [ A1 * B1 = C1 ].

during the second period, A1 and B1 have both changed (increased/decreased) to A2 and B2, respectively, so that now [ A2 * B2 = C2 ].

My problem is - how can I quantify how much of the change in C was attributable to both the change in A and the change in B? Said another way, the change in A accounted for, or drove, what percentage of C's change, and the same for B.

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance for any responses - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis

Physics news on Phys.org
A2=A1 + A, B2=B1 + B
A2B2=A1B1+ A1B + B1A + AB

A1B is change attributed to B, B1A is change attributed to A, AB is change attributed to both. If the A and B changes are relatively small, the AB term may be neglected.

Oops, my bad - the formula does, in fact work - I was just applying it incorrectly (the below post was my initial response - to be disregarded)...

Thanks a lot for your help - much appreciated!

Lewis

---------------------------------------

Mathman,

Thanks a lot for your post - it does bring back vague memories of lessons learned back in calculus class, but I'm not sure the equation works for my purpose (due to my lack of info provided).

What I'm trying to do is the following...

A company is often valued based on industry-wide "Multiples" (which is a measure that's reflective of how that sector in the economy is doing) multiplied by "EBITDA" (which is a performance measure for that specific company).

If, in Period 1, the company had the following figures:
Multiple = 4.00x
EBITDA = $2,500
TEV (Total Enterprise Value) = $10,000

In Period 2, the figures were:
Multiple = 6.00x
EBITDA = $2,000
TEV = $12,000

So, the delta between the two periods were:
Multiple: increased 2.00x, or by 50%
EBITDA: decreased $500, or by 20%
TEV: increased by $2,000, or by 20%.

My specific question would be: How much of the TEV increase of $2,000 or 20% is attributable directly to the increase in the multiples between the two periods, and how much of it was impacted (in a negative way) by the company's drop in EBITDA?

I hope that makes a little more sense. Can you (or anyone) think of a formula or equation that I could use to get this?

Again, thanks a lot to all...

Last edited:
Using the formulas I gave you:
$5000. increase due to increase in multiple
-$2000. decrease due to decrease in EBITDA
-$1000. decrease from combined affect

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to solve problems and understand the behavior of complex systems such as motion, growth, and decay. It is an essential tool in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and many others.

2. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over a given interval.

3. What are the basic concepts and principles of calculus?

The basic concepts and principles of calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain value. Derivatives are used to calculate the rate of change of a function. Integrals are used to find the area under a curve.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculus?

Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields. Some examples include determining the optimal route for a delivery truck, predicting the growth of a population, calculating the trajectory of a projectile, and finding the maximum profit for a business.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in calculus?

To improve your understanding and skills in calculus, it is essential to practice regularly and work through various problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or enroll in online courses. Additionally, it is crucial to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as they are essential for understanding calculus concepts.