Need help with analyzing this combination circuity

• Thread starter shemer77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary: Just make sure to show your work and attempt at the solution in the new thread. Good luck!In summary, the conversation was about solving a circuit problem. The first part involved simplifying the circuit into a single voltage source and equivalent resistance, then using that information to determine the source current. The circuit was then expanded back out and Ohm's Law was applied to determine the voltage drops across each element. The second part involved determining the current through each resistor in a more complex circuit. The conversation included discussing the correct values for resistors, currents, and voltages, as well as how to approach the problem and apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. The expert provided guidance and clarification to the individual, encouraging them to show their work and
shemer77

Homework Statement

the circuit
http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=38052495.gif
http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=38052495.gif
the chart
http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart.gif
http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart.gif
I need to fill out the chart, I have shown what's given and what I think I have solved correctly. I need help with figuring out the rest!

2) determine the current through each resistor
http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=current.gif
no idea on how to approach this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first 2 images:
I would suggest simplifying the circuit into its Voltage source and a single Req. You can use this information to determine the source current. Then expand the circuit back out to its original form, and determine the voltage drops across each element or element combination. You will then have more than enough information to complete your table by just applying Ohm's Law where needed.

nope
for the first one how can i get req? I don't know any of the resisort values
and is the total resistance for 2, 4.5?

Oh OK, I didn't see that at first. Forget Req. :biggrin:

Your R1 is correct, but your R2 isn't. I think you had the right idea but just messed up the math.

Think about the given currents in R1 and R2 and how that relates to the source current. With that, you can know what the currents are through all the elements, and that may help you to figure out many of the values. Also, remember that the total sum of the voltage drops/increases in the loop is equal to zero.

shemer77 said:
nope
[...]
and is the total resistance for 2, 4.5?

No, total resistance for 2) isn't 4.5 ohms. I would suggest redrawing the circuit so it resembles the one in the first part. The connections will be much clearer.

2) would it be 3 for total resistance?
1)
Your R1 is correct, but your R2 isn't. I think you had the right idea but just messed up the math.
what about my r1 is correct and what about my r2 isnt?

would 5=current for r3?

shemer77 said:
1)
what about my r1 is correct and what about my r2 isnt?

would 5=current for r3?

You are given the current through both resistors, R1 and R2. You are also given the voltage across R1. Notice that R1 and R2 are in parallel, which means that the voltage across R1 is also the voltage across R2, which you had correct. So you have the currents through both of the resistors (given) and the voltages across the two resistors (the same).

V=IR ; R = V/I

Your resistances for R1 and R2 should not be equal. You have them listed in your table as being equal.

EDIT: Yes, current through R3 would be 5 A. Notice that this is the source current.
2) would it be 3 for total resistance?
No. Did you try redrawing the circuit so it resembles the circuit in 1)?

got it, it should be r1=2 and r2=3, so is r5's current 4? and r6's current 5? and r3's v=15?
2) isn't i3 in series with the battery, and i1 and i2 are in series with each otehr and they are parallel with i3?

Last edited:
shemer77 said:
got it, it should be r1=2 and r2=3, so is r5's current 4? and r6's current 5? and r3's v=15?

Yes to all, you are on the right track.

2) isn't i3 in series with the battery, and i1 and i2 are in series with each otehr and they are parallel with i3?

Yes, R3 is in series with the battery. R1 and R2 are not in series with each other though, they are in parallel. R3 is then in series with the combination R1||R2

2) so req=10? if that's right, what would I do next?

1) r5's resistance=2, r4's voltage = 8,r4's resistance=8,? how would i figure out I and R for the battery and how would i figure out V and R for r6?

shemer77 said:
2) so req=10? if that's right, what would I do next?
Yes. Solve for the source current, and then the currents in the parallel part.

1) r5's resistance=2, r4's voltage = 8,r4's resistance=8,?
Correct.

how would i figure out I and R for the battery
Assuming the source (battery) is an ideal source, it has no internal resistance. The current through the battery is the source current you figured out earlier.

and how would i figure out V and R for r6?
Think about it like this. You have the voltage developed by the source (battery). You also have the voltage drops across all the resistive elements in the loop except for one, VR6. Apply KVL and you should be able to easily get the voltage drop across R6.

thanks man, I really owe you a lot, just one more question, I am going to make a new thread.

No problem, glad to help.

1. What is combination circuitry?

Combination circuitry is a type of electrical circuit where both series and parallel connections are present. This means that some components are connected in a series, while others are connected in a parallel. This allows for more complex and efficient circuits.

2. How do you analyze a combination circuit?

The first step in analyzing a combination circuit is to determine the equivalent resistance of the circuit. This can be done using Ohm's law and the rules for series and parallel connections. Once the equivalent resistance is found, you can use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit and find the current and voltage at each component.

3. What are the advantages of combination circuitry?

Combination circuitry allows for more flexibility and efficiency in designing electrical circuits. By using both series and parallel connections, it is possible to achieve a desired level of resistance, current, and voltage in a circuit. This also allows for better distribution of power and can reduce the risk of circuit failure.

4. What are some common applications of combination circuitry?

Combination circuitry is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones. It is also used in industrial equipment, automotive systems, and power distribution networks. Basically, any complex electrical system that requires precise control of resistance, current, and voltage can benefit from combination circuitry.

5. What are some tips for troubleshooting combination circuitry?

If you encounter issues with a combination circuit, start by checking for loose or damaged connections. Ensure that all components are properly connected and that there are no short circuits. Use a multimeter to measure the current and voltage at different points in the circuit to pinpoint any potential issues. It can also be helpful to redraw the circuit diagram and double-check your calculations for equivalent resistance and current values.