Need help with 'Compact set Prove' question

• Thread starter pantin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: , in summary the union of all the line segments between the given points is not a closed or compact set.
pantin
Let L_i denote the line segment in R^2 between the points (-1/i, 1/i) and (1/i, 1/i) with i=1,2,3...
Is the union S=U_(i=1 to infinite)L_i compact? Justify.

after I drew the graph, I just noticed that this set is not closed, because all the start points and end points of those segment are not included, so why need to prove?

Physics news on Phys.org
pantin said:
Let L_i denote the line segment in R^2 between the points (-1/i, 1/i) and (1/i, 1/i) with i=1,2,3...
Is the union S=U_(i=1 to infinite)L_i compact? Justify.

after I drew the graph, I just noticed that this set is not closed, because all the start points and end points of those segment are not included, so why need to prove?

None of those open intervals contains its endpoints certainly in that segment. You need to show that the UNION of all those intervals is an interval that does not include its endpoints. That is, I think, true and easy to prove.

Where does it say the line segments don't include the endpoints? Are you sure they don't? If they don't, then S is clearly not closed, since the endpoints aren't in any of the L_i. But what if the line segments do include the endpoints?

oh yes! haha, you are smart, it doesn't say the line segments do not include endpoints,that's just the coordinate sign!

but then how to continue..

A subset of R^2 is compact only if it's closed and bounded. S is clearly bounded, so we just need to check if it's closed. This means it contains all it's limit points.
You've drawn the graph. Does it look like there's a limit point that isn't in any of the intervals L_i?

i got it, it doesn't contain 0 , which is the limit of the sequence

thx a lot

What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that has the property that every open cover of the set has a finite subcover. In simpler terms, a compact set is a set that is closed and bounded.

How do you prove that a set is compact?

To prove that a set is compact, you can use the definition of compactness and show that every open cover of the set can be reduced to a finite subcover. Alternatively, you can use the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a set is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

What is the significance of compact sets in mathematics?

Compact sets are important in many areas of mathematics, including topology, functional analysis, and measure theory. They allow for the study of continuity, convergence, and compactness in various mathematical structures.

Can a subset of a compact set also be compact?

Yes, a subset of a compact set can also be compact. This is because a subset inherits the properties of the larger set, including being closed and bounded.

How are compact sets related to closed and bounded sets?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is both closed and bounded. Therefore, compact sets are a special type of closed and bounded sets. However, not all closed and bounded sets are necessarily compact.