1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help with double solenoid magnetic field question

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two coaxial solenoids, each 30cm long. One is inside the other. Each carry a current of 3A, but in opposite directions. Inner solenoid has a radius of 3cm and the outer has a radius of 6cm. Inner has 15 turns/cm and the outer has 30 turns/cm. Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field inside the solenoid, between the inner and outer solenoids, outside the outer most solenoid. What is the inductance of the inner solenoid? The outer?

2. Relevant equations
    B=(uNI)/l

3. The attempt at a solution
    B due to the outer solenoid turns out to be 360piX10^-5 T and for the inner it is 180piX10^-5 T So for the magnetic field in the inner solenoid it would be the difference between the two fields since they are going in the opposite direction. THis makes it 180piX10^-5 T in the direction that the outer solenoid dictates. How do I get the field between them and outside the oter most solenoid? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2
    Also, would the current running in opposite directions affect the inductance?

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Turpulus! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    We usually assume that, if a solenoid is long enough, the magnetic field it creates outside it is zero. :wink:

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4
    Ok that definitely helps. Is 30cm long enough though? Also, would the inductance be affected by the solenoids nested inside each other or is that an intrinsic property of each solenoid?

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For exam questions? yes :smile:

In reality? no idea :biggrin:
    The magnetic fields are independent.

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6
    So if the magnetic fields are independent, then that means the inductances are independent also correct? Won't the magnetic fields be cumulative in the inner solenoid?

8. Apr 10, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Independent means cumulative! :smile:

(ie you just add them, with no funny-business :wink:)

9. Apr 10, 2012 #8
    Ok great. I think I'm getting it. Would I subtract the inductances from one another instead of add them since the current is flowing in opposite directions? For the individual solenoids, I calculated an inductance of 2.398mH for the inner and 38.373 for the outer. So the outer inductance would remain 38.373mH, but the inductance of the inner would actually be 38.373mH - 2.398mH? I'm using L=((uN^2)A)/length of solenoid to calculate the individual inductances. Just not sure how to add or subtract them. Thanks again!

10. Apr 10, 2012 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

looking back, i'm a little confused …

the question doesn't ask for a total inductance

and are they wired in parallel or in series (or not electrically connected at all?) :confused:

the magnetic fields just add,

but if the solenoids are electrically unconnected, so their currents are unconnected, then the inductance (emf per change in current) of one has nothing to do with the current through the other

11. Apr 10, 2012 #10
    Sorry for the confusion. THe question asks for the magnetic fields and the inductances of each solenoid. The solenoids are not connected at all. I understand about the magnetic fields adding up and I"m pretty sure you just treat the solenoids as independent entities for the inductance. So to review, the magnetic field in the inner solenoid is equivalent to the sum of the mag field in the inner and outer solenoid. Between the two solenoids, it is just the mag field of the outer solenoid. Outside both solenoids it is 0. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook