Need Help with double solenoid magnetic field question

In summary, two coaxial solenoids, each 30cm long, carry currents of 3A in opposite directions. The inner solenoid has a radius of 3cm and 15 turns/cm, while the outer solenoid has a radius of 6cm and 30 turns/cm. Using the equation B=(uNI)/l, the magnetic field inside the solenoid is 180piX10^-5 T in the direction of the outer solenoid. The magnetic field between the solenoids is zero, and outside the outermost solenoid it is also zero. The inductances of the inner and outer solenoids are independent of each other and are calculated using the formula L=((
Turpulus

Homework Statement

There are two coaxial solenoids, each 30cm long. One is inside the other. Each carry a current of 3A, but in opposite directions. Inner solenoid has a radius of 3cm and the outer has a radius of 6cm. Inner has 15 turns/cm and the outer has 30 turns/cm. Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field inside the solenoid, between the inner and outer solenoids, outside the outer most solenoid. What is the inductance of the inner solenoid? The outer?

Homework Equations

B=(uNI)/l

The Attempt at a Solution

B due to the outer solenoid turns out to be 360piX10^-5 T and for the inner it is 180piX10^-5 T So for the magnetic field in the inner solenoid it would be the difference between the two fields since they are going in the opposite direction. THis makes it 180piX10^-5 T in the direction that the outer solenoid dictates. How do I get the field between them and outside the oter most solenoid? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, would the current running in opposite directions affect the inductance?

Welcome to PF!

Hi Turpulus! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Turpulus said:
… How do I get the field between them and outside the oter most solenoid?

We usually assume that, if a solenoid is long enough, the magnetic field it creates outside it is zero. :wink:

Ok that definitely helps. Is 30cm long enough though? Also, would the inductance be affected by the solenoids nested inside each other or is that an intrinsic property of each solenoid?

Turpulus said:
Ok that definitely helps. Is 30cm long enough though?

For exam questions? yes :smile:

In reality? no idea :biggrin:
Also, would the inductance be affected by the solenoids nested inside each other or is that an intrinsic property of each solenoid?

The magnetic fields are independent.

tiny-tim said:
For exam questions? yes :smile:

In reality? no idea :biggrin:

The magnetic fields are independent.

So if the magnetic fields are independent, then that means the inductances are independent also correct? Won't the magnetic fields be cumulative in the inner solenoid?

Independent means cumulative! :smile:

(ie you just add them, with no funny-business :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Independent means cumulative! :smile:

(ie you just add them, with no funny-business :wink:)

Ok great. I think I'm getting it. Would I subtract the inductances from one another instead of add them since the current is flowing in opposite directions? For the individual solenoids, I calculated an inductance of 2.398mH for the inner and 38.373 for the outer. So the outer inductance would remain 38.373mH, but the inductance of the inner would actually be 38.373mH - 2.398mH? I'm using L=((uN^2)A)/length of solenoid to calculate the individual inductances. Just not sure how to add or subtract them. Thanks again!

looking back, I'm a little confused …

the question doesn't ask for a total inductance

and are they wired in parallel or in series (or not electrically connected at all?) :confused:

the magnetic fields just add,

but if the solenoids are electrically unconnected, so their currents are unconnected, then the inductance (emf per change in current) of one has nothing to do with the current through the other

Sorry for the confusion. THe question asks for the magnetic fields and the inductances of each solenoid. The solenoids are not connected at all. I understand about the magnetic fields adding up and I"m pretty sure you just treat the solenoids as independent entities for the inductance. So to review, the magnetic field in the inner solenoid is equivalent to the sum of the mag field in the inner and outer solenoid. Between the two solenoids, it is just the mag field of the outer solenoid. Outside both solenoids it is 0. Thanks for your help!

1. What is a double solenoid?

A double solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of two coils of wire wrapped around a central axis. When an electric current is passed through the coils, a magnetic field is created between them. This type of solenoid is commonly used in various electronic and mechanical devices.

2. How does a double solenoid work?

A double solenoid works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current is passed through the coils, it creates a magnetic field. The direction and strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by changing the direction and strength of the electric current.

3. What is the purpose of a double solenoid?

A double solenoid is used in various applications where precise control of a magnetic field is needed. It is commonly used in devices such as relays, actuators, and valves. It can also be used in scientific experiments to study the effects of magnetic fields on different materials.

4. How can the magnetic field of a double solenoid be calculated?

The magnetic field of a double solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (N * I), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule.

5. What factors can affect the strength of a double solenoid's magnetic field?

The strength of a double solenoid's magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the electric current, the distance between the coils, and the permeability of the material inside the solenoid. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.