Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with more indepth beam theory?

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    I have a project for a class and our goal is to design a beam using 1018 steel to achieve a certain deflection under one load and not fail under an even larger load.

The design I have come up with is very similar to a cantilever beam, but is has a variable cross section. I have used the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory to find the proper dimension to minimize the volume and achieve the goals. I then built my design in ANSYS and my deflection values varied GREATLY. With beam theory I was getting about 3.655 inch deflection, ANSYS was giving me about a .031 inch deflection. That is all under a 60 lbf load

Is there a more elaborate beam theory or more correct one that I could use?

Attached is a pdf of my work in MathCAD and picture of my ANSYS model if that would help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear, from what I can piece together from your attachments, that you need a new beam theory, you just need to make sure the beam theories you are using have been applied correctly.

Why have you used only 60 ksi for Young's Modulus (E)? E for steel is going to be on the order of 30,000 ksi.

In the quantity M / EI , you must use consistent units. If M is in inch-lbs, then I must be in in4 and E must be in lbs / in2, not ksi.

One other thing to check is to make sure the tangent function in MathCAD accepts degrees as arguments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook