Need help with projectiles launched at an angle

In summary, someone without proper instruction was assigned homework that involved projectiles being launched horizontally. They ask for help, but only if someone is willing to do the work themselves. They also request that if someone does help, they be given a diagram and a link to a website that explains the basics of resolving vectors into their components.
austin1250
Alright, I get how to get projectiles launched horizontally, but today our teacher wasn't even there and for some reason without going over the lesson he assigned us homework...
so here I am. I just need to basicly know how to do this. I have 3 example problems from my homework. if you can do it that's great, but I would also like to know how.

1) In a scene in an action movie, a stuntman jumps from the top of one bulding to the top of another buliding 4.0 meters away. after a running start, he leaps at a velocity of 5.0 m/s at an angle of 15 degreeswith respect to the flat roof. will he make it to the other roof which is 2.5 m shorter than the bulding he jumps from?

2) A golfer hits a gold ball at an angle of 25 degrees to the ground. if the golf ball covers a horizontal distance of 301.5 m, what is the balls max height?

3)a baseball is thrown at an angle of 25 degrees relative to the ground at a speed of 23 m/s. if the ball was caught 42 m from the thrower, how long was it in the air. how high did the ball travel before being caught?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one here is just going to do these for you, it is against forum rules. You need to show some effort yourself. Do you have a textbook to refer to? First, draw a diagram. Since this is two dimensional, you will need to resolve the motion into its horizontal and vertical components. This site illustrates the motion: http://library.thinkquest.org/2779/Even_more.html

See what you can come up with.

hage567 said:
No one here is just going to do these for you, it is against forum rules. You need to show some effort yourself. Do you have a textbook to refer to? First, draw a diagram. Since this is two dimensional, you will need to resolve the motion into its horizontal and vertical components. This site illustrates the motion: http://library.thinkquest.org/2779/Even_more.html

See what you can come up with.

I never asked anyone to do it. if they did it would help but those were just examples. I basiclly just need help on how to like go through a problem like that. Like I said I can do horizantal projectals, but we just started angled launches and our teacher didnt even teach us the section because he was gone. He taught us kind of different too, we make like X and Y tables if you guys do that also? Any help?

I never asked anyone to do it.
In your first post:
I have 3 example problems from my homework. if you can do it that's great, but I would also like to know how.
To me, this statement looks like you are asking someone to do it.

Yes, making x and y tables is useful. Did you look at the link I gave you?
Do you know how to resolve a vector into its components? You need to know this before you can start these problems.
I basiclly just need help on how to like go through a problem like that

This stuff might be useful for you to look over:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#vec5
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tracon
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Vectors/ProjectilePsolve/PMPSolveRelPhys.html#FundamentialFreeFallEquations

See if it helps, it can do a better job of explaining this than I can since it has diagrams and I don't know what you know. Read through it and ask questions if you get stuck on something.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a projectile launched at an angle?

A projectile launched at an angle is an object that is thrown or propelled into the air at an initial angle from the horizontal. This angle can range from 0 degrees (horizontal) to 90 degrees (vertical).

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle?

The trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle is affected by initial velocity, initial angle, air resistance, and gravitational force. These factors determine the path of the projectile and how far it will travel.

3. How is the range of a projectile launched at an angle calculated?

The range of a projectile launched at an angle can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the initial angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the initial angle affect the range and height of a projectile?

The initial angle of a projectile launched at an angle affects both the range and height of the projectile. A lower initial angle will result in a shorter range and a higher initial angle will result in a longer range. The maximum height of the projectile will occur at a 45 degree angle.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. In general, projectiles with a larger surface area experience more air resistance, causing them to travel shorter distances and at a lower angle.