Need help with question and checking of answers

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
In summary, two identical snooker balls at rest at points A and B on a snooker table are projected at a speed of 2ms^{-1} and collide at point C, with angles \alpha and \beta making with the table and a coefficient of restitution of \frac{1}{4}. It is shown that cot\alpha + cot\beta=2.5 and that the direction of motion of the ball turns 90 degrees upon impact at C. The speed of the ball after impact is found using the horizontal and vertical components and the coefficient of restitution.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/9536/scan0006hj0.jpg
Two identical snooker balls are at rest at the point A and B of a snooker table, where AB+1m. The liunes AB is aparallel to a smooth side of the table and at a distance of 0.4m from that side. The ball A is projected along the table with a speed of [itex]2ms^{-1}[/itex] to hit the side of the table at C. It rebounds and subsequently hits the ball at B. The angles that AC and CB make with the table are [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] respectively (see diagram). The coefficient of resititution between the side and a ball is [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]. Resistances may be ignored and the balls may be considered as particles.

(i)Show that [itex]cot\alpha + cot\beta=2.5[/itex] and [itex]tan\alpha=2[/itex]
(ii) Show that the direction of motion of the ball turns through 90 degrees on impact at C
(iii) find the speed of the ball after impact at C.

Homework Equations

[itex]e=\frac{\delta v}{\delta u}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well here is my work...in pictures because, typing it up would have taken a long time.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2581/scan0006cb8.jpg

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4219/scan0007wu2.jpg

Strangely enough,I had a hard time looking for ways to show that tan[itex]\alpha[/itex]=2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
Strangely enough,I had a hard time looking for ways to show that tan[itex]\alpha[/itex]=2
One thing that will help with both showing that [itex]\tan\alpha = 2[/itex] and finding the speed after impact is realizing that the coefficient of restitution only applies to the component of velocity perpendicular to the surface.

So the perpendicular comp. of the velocity before impact is [itex]2sin\alpha[/itex]

and the perpendicular comp. of velocity after is vsin[itex]\beta[/itex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{4}=\frac{vsin\beta}{2sin\alpha}[/tex]

But where would I get the tan from?

rock.freak667 said:
But where would I get the tan from?
Use both the horizontal and vertical components.

Doc Al said:
Use both the horizontal and vertical components.

[itex]2cos\alpha[/itex] and [itex]vcos\alpha[/itex], both point in the same direction.

So 2cos[itex]\alpha[/itex]=vcos[itex]\beta[/itex] because the horizontal velocity should stay the same?

Yes. Now relate the tangents by dividing the vertical and horizontal components.

ah thanks, got it there.

What is the purpose of "Need help with question and checking of answers"?

The purpose of "Need help with question and checking of answers" is to seek assistance and verification for a particular question or set of answers. It is commonly used by individuals who are unsure about their understanding of a topic or are looking for a second opinion on their work.

How can I get help with my question and answers?

There are several ways to get help with your question and answers. You can ask a friend or colleague for their input, consult a tutor or teacher, or post your question on an online forum or community for others to provide feedback and assistance.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with the answers I receive?

If you are not satisfied with the answers you receive, you should consider reaching out to multiple sources for feedback. It is also helpful to clearly articulate your question and provide as much context as possible to those providing assistance. This can help ensure that you receive more accurate and helpful responses.

How do I know if the answers I receive are correct?

It is important to remember that the answers you receive are opinions and should not be taken as absolute truth. It is always a good idea to fact-check and do your own research to confirm the accuracy of the information provided. Additionally, seeking feedback from multiple sources can also help verify the correctness of the answers.

Is it considered cheating to ask for help with my question and answers?

No, it is not considered cheating to ask for help with your question and answers. Seeking assistance and feedback is a valuable part of the learning process and can help improve your understanding of a topic. However, it is important to properly cite any external sources used in your work to avoid plagiarism.