Need help with statics problem -- Structure to hold 1300 pounds

In summary, you want to build a structure that can hold a 1300 lb supersack full of walnuts. The problem is that the weight will tip over if it is not anchored to the floor. The solution is to use strong supports and to anchor the weight to the floor.
Noah332
TL;DR Summary
Trying to build a structure but not sure if i am doing it correctly

So given a force F that is at r1/2, distances y, r1,r2,and r3. What is x?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the context of your question? Is this for schoolwork?

Im trying to build a structure that can hold a 1300 lb supersack full of walnuts for work.

Noah332 said:
What is x?
Since you have given us no idea what constrains you want to put on x, how could we know? What is it you are trying to achieve?

Likes davenn
Does x need to have a constraint? Its a statics problem. I figured you sum up the forces in the x direction, sum up the forces in the y direction and sum of the moments and solve for x. Seems pretty straight forward I am just trying to check if i did it right so i want to see how someone who knows what they are doing, does it? The one thing i realized i left out is the angle of those angled beams. They should be 45 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noah332 said:
Does x need to have a constraint? Its a statics problem. I figured u sum up the forces in the x direction, sum up the forces in the y direction and sum of the moments and solve for x. Seems pretty straight forward I am just trying to check if i did it right so i want to see how someone who knows what they are doing, does it? The one thing i realized i left out is the angle of those angled beams. They should be 45 degrees.
? x is a DISTANCE, not a force, at least the way you have it drawn.

Yes exactly. Its a distance. I need to figure out how long that beam should be so thing thing doesn't fall over from the weight.

Noah332 said:
Yes exactly. Its a distance. I need to figure out how long that beam should be so thing thing doesn't fall over from the weight.

and what are you wanting to build the structure from ?
anything less than very strong and it will buckle long before it topples over

Noah332 said:
Well, that's trivial. x has be be a minimum of r1/2 + r2 - r3. In practice you'll want it a bit longer. Personally, I'd go with x = r1 + r2 - r3

You want to hold a 1300 load, but don't know how to keep it from tipping over. I strongly suggest talking to a real engineer.

BTW, those angle braces do exactly nothing for the strength of the vertical column. Can you explain why?

phinds said:
Well, that's trivial. x has be be a minimum of r1/2 + r2 - r3. In practice you'll want it a bit longer. Personally, I'd go with x = r1 + r2 - r3
If it was my job, I would want the front support at least 2 feet past the center of gravity of the 1300 lb load. Preferably a little more, or a lot more depending on the height. And anchor it to the floor.

jrmichler said:
You want to hold a 1300 load, but don't know how to keep it from tipping over. I strongly suggest talking to a real engineer.

BTW, those angle braces do exactly nothing for the strength of the vertical column. Can you explain why?If it was my job, I would want the front support at least 2 feet past the center of gravity of the 1300 lb load. Preferably a little more, or a lot more depending on the height. And anchor it to the floor.
Sure, but he gave a very simplistic problem and I gave him a simplistic answer.

jrmichler said:
You want to hold a 1300 load, but don't know how to keep it from tipping over.
As far as that goes, what keeps it from tipping over sideways?

davenn said:
and what are you wanting to build the structure from ?
anything less than very strong and it will buckle long before it topples over
Its being built out of steel

sandy stone said:
As far as that goes, what keeps it from tipping over sideways?
Well it will have two of those side frames about 4 ft apart with connected cross beams

Noah332 said:
Well it will have two of those side frames about 4 ft apart with connected cross beams
One at each corner

We need to be able to drive a forklift to be able to rest straps from the supersack on the top bars sticking out

phinds said:
Sure, but he gave a very simplistic problem and I gave him a simplistic answer.
I wanted to see how you would use statics. Like sum the forces and the moments. I wanted to see how its done

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation (safety issues).

Because if the inexperience of the OP and the heavy loads involved, this thread will remain closed. Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:

1. How much weight can the structure hold?

The structure is designed to hold 1300 pounds, as stated in the problem.

2. What is the best material to use for the structure?

The best material to use will depend on various factors such as the design of the structure, the environment it will be placed in, and the budget. Generally, materials such as steel, concrete, and wood are commonly used for structures that need to hold heavy loads.

3. How do I calculate the load-bearing capacity of the structure?

The load-bearing capacity of a structure can be calculated by considering factors such as the type of material used, the dimensions and design of the structure, and the weight and distribution of the load. It is best to consult a structural engineer for an accurate calculation.

4. Can the structure be modified to hold more weight?

It is possible to modify the structure to hold more weight, but it will depend on the design and materials used. It is important to consult a structural engineer before making any modifications to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building the structure?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when building any structure, especially one that needs to hold a heavy load. It is recommended to consult a structural engineer and obtain necessary permits before construction begins.