1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this 1 question that has been bugging me all night

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    x to the power of 2 / 60 + x to the power of 4 / 216,000 = 0.001

How do you figure out what x is?

i looked up the answer in my book the answer is 0.245 but how did they get that answer?

please help me someone. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you know about the manipulation of exponents? Look at your basic definitons, then ask yourself if there is anything that can be factored? For example: is 60 a factor of 216,000?

4. Sep 8, 2006 #3
  5. Sep 8, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about you answer my question. Is 60 a factor of 216,000? We know that 2 * 2 = 4 so you can factor the numerator, now do the same with the denominator. Look at and read #3 in your link. Ok, now read it again. How can you use that in your problem?

6. Sep 8, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

You can substute x^2 = t, which makes x^4=t^2. Now you can solve the quadratic equation for t, and substitute for x in the end. A bit work with the denominators would be practical too, for the sake of calculation.

7. Sep 8, 2006 #6
    ok so 60 * 3600 = 216,000

i cant see the connection to how that will help me with this algebra question

8. Sep 8, 2006 #7
    dont understand sorry

9. Sep 8, 2006 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go ahead and look at the prime factors of 216000.

10. Sep 8, 2006 #9
    let me ask another question that will help me

2/5 + 1/7 =

how would you add these two togther manually without a calculator?
    if you can tell me that i will be able to figure out my original problem.

11. Sep 8, 2006 #10

danago

Gold Member

You would need to find a common denominator. You can do that by mumtiplying both denominators together to get a common denominator of 30, but remembering that whatever you do to the denominator, you must also do to the numerator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?