Need help with this Vector Question +rep

• Thread starter simpleas123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: Well, \textbf{c}\times(\textbf{x}-\textbf{y})=0 tells you either \textbf{x}-\textbf{y}=0 or \textbf{x}-\textbf{y} is orthogonal to \textbf{c}...right?
simpleas123
Alright all I am on this vector question and I am having problems with this question. Part (i) i have no idea what to start with / how i possibly prove the question.

This is the question, help will be deeply appriciated. Thanks, David. Also note that
|| a || = (a_1 + a_2 + ... + 1_n)^1/2 .

|| a - b || = || a || || b || - 2 (a \cdot b).

I have done part (i) :) Its the rest I am struggling with.

2jwopw.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show us how you solved part (i)?

berkeman said:
Could you show us how you solved part (i)?

c = a + t(b-a), take t = l1 / l
c = a + (l1 / l)(b-a), Expand
c = a -a(l1 / l) + b(l1 / l) Collect terms with a.
c = a(1 - (l1 / l)) + b(l1 / l) 1 = l / l
c = a(l/l - (l1 / l)) + b(l1 / l)
c = a(l - l1)/l + b(l1 / l) l - l1 = l2
c = a(l2 / l) + b(l1 / l)

Its the rest I am stuck on :(
Any ideas?

Hi simpleas123, welcome to PF!:smile:

simpleas123 said:
c = a + t(b-a), take t = l1 / l

You should probably use boldface type to distinguish vectors from scalars, just to make things clear (Clicking on the "go advanced" button will give you all kinds of typesetting options, including using [itex]\LaTeX[/itex])

Also, although [itex]t=\frac{l_1}{l}[/itex] is correct, you need to provide a justification of this for your proof to be complete (A justification of the hint given is also necessary).

Its the rest I am stuck on :(
Any ideas?

For problem (ii), proving the statement "If [itex]\textbf{x}=\textbf{y}[/itex], then [itex]\textbf{c}\cdot\textbf{x}=\textbf{c}\cdot\textbf{y}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{c}\times\textbf{x}=\textbf{c}\times\textbf{y}[/itex]" should be easy enough...as for proving the opposite direction if-then statement; what is the result of problem 3 (b) they mention?...What is property (4) of the cross product?

Property 4 is the same as result of problem 3 (b).
It states that;

Where a,b are vectors

a x b = 0, if and only if there exist two scalars [tex]\mu,\lambda[/tex] one of which is non-zero such that a[tex]\lambda[/tex] = b[tex]\mu[/tex]

I have done part ii) now too.

Okay, and what was your solution for (ii)?

Problem (iii) appears to contain a typo...I am fairly certain it's suppose to say:

"Show that the equation of the line [itex]l[/itex] through the points [itex]\textbf{x}_0[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{x}_0+\textbf{a}[/itex] is [itex](\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_0)\times\textbf{a}=0[/itex]"

To do this, just use what property 4 tells you about the equation [itex](\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_0)\times\textbf{a}=0[/itex]...

gabbagabbahey said:
Okay, and what was your solution for (ii)?

Problem (iii) appears to contain a typo...I am fairly certain it's suppose to say:

"Show that the equation of the line [itex]l[/itex] through the points [itex]\textbf{x}_0[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{x}_0+\textbf{a}[/itex] is [itex](\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_0)\times\textbf{a}=0[/itex]"

To do this, just use what property 4 tells you about the equation [itex](\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}_0)\times\textbf{a}=0[/itex]...

Part ii)
[itex]c \cdot y = c \cdot x[/itex]
[itex](c \cdot y) - (c \cdot x) = 0[/itex]
[itex]c \cdot (x-y) = 0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y = x[/itex]
and it was pretty much the same method for the cross product execpt u had to state a property at the end as x x y could equal something other than 0.

simpleas123 said:
Part ii)
[itex]c \cdot y = c \cdot x[/itex]
[itex](c \cdot y) - (c \cdot x) = 0[/itex]
[itex]c \cdot (x-y) = 0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y = x[/itex]
and it was pretty much the same method for the cross product execpt u had to state a property at the end as x x y could equal something other than 0.

Careful, [itex]\textbf{c}\cdot(\textbf{x}-\textbf{y})=0[/itex] doesn't necessarily mean that [itex]\textbf{x}-\textbf{y}=0[/itex]...one of the vectors in a dot product being zero is not the only way for the dot product to be zero...

[itex]\bold{c} \cdot (\bold{x}-\bold{y}) = \bold{0}[/itex]
This doesn't necessarily imply that x = y. All it says is that c is orthogonal to x - y.

Counterexample: c = (1, 0, 0), x = (0, 2, 0), y = (0, 1, 0).
[itex]\bold{c} \cdot (\bold{x}-\bold{y}) = (1, 0, 0) \cdot (0, 1, 0) = \bold{0}[/itex]
but x - y isn't 0.

Mark44 said:
[itex]\bold{c} \cdot (\bold{x}-\bold{y}) = \bold{0}[/itex]
This doesn't necessarily imply that x = y. All it says is that c is orthogonal to x - y.

Counterexample: c = (1, 0, 0), x = (0, 2, 0), y = (0, 1, 0).
[itex]\bold{c} \cdot (\bold{x}-\bold{y}) = (1, 0, 0) \cdot (0, 1, 0) = \bold{0}[/itex]
but x - y isn't 0.

Oh snap that's right, well then how would i prove it?

simpleas123 said:
Oh snap that's right, well then how would i prove it?

Well, [itex]\textbf{c}\cdot(\textbf{x}-\textbf{y})=0[/itex] tells you either [itex]\textbf{x}-\textbf{y}=0[/itex] or [itex]\textbf{x}-\textbf{y}[/itex] is orthogonal to [itex]\textbf{c}[/itex]...right?

What can you say about [itex]\textbf{c}\times(\textbf{x}-\textbf{y})[/itex] if [itex]\textbf{x}-\textbf{y}[/itex] is orthogonal to [itex]\textbf{c}[/itex]?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar because it only has a numerical value (magnitude), while velocity is a vector because it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

3. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their components (x and y for 2D vectors, x, y, and z for 3D vectors). Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resulting vector. For example, to add two 2D vectors, you add their x components and add their y components separately.

4. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar value that represents the amount of similarity or difference between the two vectors. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the results. If the dot product is positive, the two vectors are pointing in similar directions, and if it is negative, they are pointing in opposite directions.

5. How is vector notation used in physics?

Vector notation is used in physics to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used to describe the motion of objects in terms of their displacement, velocity, and acceleration vectors. Vector notation allows for concise and precise mathematical representations of physical phenomena.