Need help with vectors, angles, etc please

In summary, the person is seeking assistance on how to move a 3-dimensional object along the surface of a 3-D sphere, facing in the direction it is moving relative to the surface. They mention that they are not very good at math and have a basic understanding of vector math. They also provide more information about the system and their progress.
kayl669
I have a problem that I have no way of solving on my own. I would like to know how to move a 3-dimensional object long the surface of a 3-D sphere and have it move in the direction it is facing, relative to the surface. Can someone please help me? I am not very good at math but am trying. What I know so far is very basic vector math, like sine/cosine, angles between vectors etc. I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
kayl669 said:
I have a problem that I have no way of solving on my own. I would like to know how to move a 3-dimensional object long the surface of a 3-D sphere and have it move in the direction it is facing, relative to the surface. Can someone please help me? I am not very good at math but am trying. What I know so far is very basic vector math, like sine/cosine, angles between vectors etc. I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Can you define your problem better? Without a better describtions of your system and what you really want... I'd look at it in spherical cooridinates... in this coordinate system the radius r would not be allowed to change, but theta (angle describing where you are in lattitude from north to south pole, allowed to be from 0 to pi) and phi (describing where you are in longitude, allowed to vary from 0 to 2pi) are allowed to change.

This system is easily converted into x/y/z (Cartesian) coordinates if you choose.

Thank you for trying to help me. I finally figured it out :)

Last edited:

1. What are vectors and how are they used?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are often represented as an arrow on a coordinate plane. Vectors are used in many different fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to describe the movement or force of an object.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. For example, if a vector has components (3,4), its magnitude would be √(3² + 4²) = 5.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Speed is an example of a scalar, while velocity is a vector as it includes both speed and direction.

4. How do you find the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be found using the dot product formula, where the angle (θ) is equal to the inverse cosine of the dot product of the two vectors divided by the product of their magnitudes. θ = cos⁻¹((a·b)/(|a|*|b|)).

5. What is the difference between a 2D and 3D vector?

A 2D vector has two components, usually represented as (x,y), while a 3D vector has three components, usually represented as (x,y,z). In 2D, vectors can only move in the x and y directions, while in 3D, vectors can also move in the z direction.