Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with vectors, angles, etc please

1. Nov 17, 2006 #1
    I have a problem that I have no way of solving on my own. I would like to know how to move a 3-dimensional object long the surface of a 3-D sphere and have it move in the direction it is facing, relative to the surface. Can someone please help me? I am not very good at math but am trying. What I know so far is very basic vector math, like sine/cosine, angles between vectors etc. I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2006 #2
    Can you define your problem better? Without a better describtions of your system and what you really want... I'd look at it in spherical cooridinates... in this coordinate system the radius r would not be allowed to change, but theta (angle describing where you are in lattitude from north to south pole, allowed to be from 0 to pi) and phi (describing where you are in longitude, allowed to vary from 0 to 2pi) are allowed to change.

This system is easily converted into x/y/z (Cartesian) coordinates if you choose.

4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    Thank you for trying to help me. I finally figured it out :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?