Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need information how with simple technology make sticky fly paper

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1
    Maybe little-bit strange and too specific post. I am trying to find information about this in several forums.

I want to start small manufacturing business. Selfemployment and maybe one or two workers if needed. I want to produce sticky fly paper (in roll, not just board).

First question:
    Fly paper seems to be comparably simple production. As my budget do not allow for now to import expensive automatic machines, I want just self-employment with simple mechanic tools and semi-automatic machines. I can neither afford, neither need those machines which produce 6000 pieces at hour. It will be great to produce 1000-2000 per day in beginning.

Just simple mechanic tools (semi-mechanic machines) for cutting, adding glue, how to get it rolled and in package. (Please - no jokes about scissors, brush etc)
    Basically - fly paper is invented 160 years ago. How to make it with simple and cheap semi-machines as it was made maybe 60 years.

Second question:
    From what kind components to make sticky glue that it does not become dry?

I searched in internet for information but was not successful. I found many places with advices how to make home-made fly paper, but this home-made is of course not packed in roll - just a sticky paper. Also for "glue" they advice to use (for melting with sugar) "Golden syrup" or "Maple syrup" or even honey. These of course is not solutions for commercial production.
    I know that for glue often is used raisins, but surely for beginning I need to use local materials. Raisins is not produced here and because of custom taxes and transportation costs all imports is expensive here. And I can not import one 20ft container of raisins... :-)
    But this is sugar producing country so the question is how to make sugar syrup that does not become dry.
    Also I find in internet industry machines (but for boards not for roll) but that is not for me at least in start.
    Any suggestions and information?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    Just for curiosity, why are you starting this specific enterprise ?
  4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    Well, local market is empty (this is developing country), also to produce locally would be cheaper than import because of high custom taxes, slowly custom clearance and high transportation costs.
  5. Jul 22, 2010 #4
    Thanks, now I get the picture. Unfortunately, I'm not of much use here, so good luck then.
  6. Jul 22, 2010 #5
    You need to put something that is not sticky on one side of the paper if you want to roll it up. That is probably more of a chemistry question though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook