Need some clarification with statistics

• Thread starter anjunabeats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: Yeah i think i understand poisson distribution more clearly now, just finished the course today probably planning to learn more chunkier stats in the future.
anjunabeats
Im currently doing an introductory stats course and have learnt:

- poisson distribution
- binomial distribution
- normal distribution
- t-student
- and chi-square

I think I know what most of them look like but am having a bit of a hard time distinguishing what distribution to use when faced with questions.

Heres my current understanding:

- poisson distribution - when pop mean is given over an interval?
- binomial distribution - when given sample size and p of success
- normal distribution - n >30 or if normal
- t-student - when population is normal distributed but variance parameter is unknown
- and chi-square - not too sure when to use.

Wondering if anyone can help me with my current problems, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
the normal distrubuted population's random estimated variance is chi square distribute, when you ask what probability you can obtain a variance you need chi square.

anjunabeats said:
I think I know what most of them look like but am having a bit of a hard time distinguishing what distribution to use when faced with questions.

Firstly, is the goal here to pass the exam or to learn statistics?

bpet said:
Firstly, is the goal here to pass the exam or to learn statistics?

To learn statistics, I am already doing well enough to pass the exam. I am probably going to learn much more difficult concepts in the future so its best if i get the fundamentals right.

anjunabeats said:
...its best if i get the fundamentals right.

The key is understanding what assumptions are reasonable for the given data, and which are necessary in order to use a particular distribution in your repertoire. There aren't any fixed rules as to what applies when, but as you learn more distributions and see the various ways they arise you'll gain a more intuitive understanding of which candidates are most suitable for each situation.

Good luck with your studies!

bpet said:
The key is understanding what assumptions are reasonable for the given data, and which are necessary in order to use a particular distribution in your repertoire. There aren't any fixed rules as to what applies when, but as you learn more distributions and see the various ways they arise you'll gain a more intuitive understanding of which candidates are most suitable for each situation.

Good luck with your studies!

thanks for pointing out the obvious.

anjunabeats said:
thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Glad you appreciate the point - many don't, which is why so much dodgy research gets published.

Regarding the original questions, it sounds like you're on the right track except maybe the Poisson distribution - not sure what you meant by "pop mean is given over an interval", did you mean to say "average occurrence rate is given over an interval"?

bpet said:
Glad you appreciate the point - many don't, which is why so much dodgy research gets published.

Regarding the original questions, it sounds like you're on the right track except maybe the Poisson distribution - not sure what you meant by "pop mean is given over an interval", did you mean to say "average occurrence rate is given over an interval"?

Yeah i think i understand poisson distribution more clearly now, just finished the course today probably planning to learn more chunkier stats in the future.

1. What is the purpose of statistics in scientific research?

Statistics is used in scientific research to summarize and analyze data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. It helps researchers to draw conclusions and make decisions based on the data they have collected.

2. What are some common statistical terms that I should know?

Some common statistical terms include mean, median, mode, standard deviation, correlation, and regression. It is important to understand these terms in order to interpret and analyze statistical data accurately.

3. How do I choose the appropriate statistical test for my data?

The choice of statistical test depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. Some common statistical tests include t-tests, ANOVA, chi-square tests, and regression analysis. Consulting with a statistician or conducting a literature review can help you determine the most appropriate test for your data.

4. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involve summarizing and describing data, while inferential statistics involve making predictions and generalizations about a larger population based on a sample of data. Descriptive statistics are used to understand and describe the characteristics of a sample, while inferential statistics are used to make inferences about a larger population.

5. How do I interpret the results of a statistical analysis?

Interpreting statistical results involves understanding the statistical test used, the significance level, and the effect size. It is important to also consider the context of the research question and the limitations of the study. Consulting with a statistician or seeking clarification from the researcher can also help with interpreting the results of a statistical analysis.