Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some guidance - Graphing in Matlab

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    Need some guidance -- Graphing in Matlab

Hello, I am doing a project using Matlab. I need to generate this graph as shown in the attachment. For the gas and liquid superficial velocity, I am able to find the equation but as for the Flow pattern transition boundary equation(the darker lines), I am stuck. I have referred to Noghrehkar's journal and Ulbricht as well. Right now I am clueless of where else to look for the equation. I need to plot a flow map for a staggered bundle, cross flow shell and tube heat exchanger with vertical upright orientation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2
    Need some guidance

Hello, I am doing a project using Matlab. I need to generate this graph as shown in the attachment. For the gas and liquid superficial velocity, I am able to find the equation but as for the Flow pattern transition boundary equation(the darker lines), I am stuck. I have referred to Noghrehkar's journal and Ulbricht as well. Right now I am clueless of where else to look for the equation. I need to plot a flow map for a staggered bundle, cross flow shell and tube heat exchanger with vertical upright orientation.

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, no attachment provided.

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

see duplicate thread here

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Two threads merged.

@MissUncertain -- please do not multiple post. That is agaist the PF rules.

7. Nov 11, 2013 #6
  8. Nov 11, 2013 #7
    I have come across lots of similar flow regime maps in the book "Liquid-Vapor Phase Change Phenomena" by Van. P Carey. Not sure if it has that exact map but it might be of some use to you. Have to say I'm kind of surprised that the equations defining the transition boundaries are not avaliable in the authors papers. All the papers I have read regarding flow-mapping always present the relevant equations.

9. Nov 11, 2013 #8
    That's true. It's hard for me as I don't really have a good understanding on thermal fluid. Perhaps you can help to enlighten me here. According to the journal, Noghrehkar used PDF to generate the flow map. So if that's the case, will I still be able to generate the same graph using my own data? Because I wanted to generate the same map having the same transition boundaries but with different data input for comparison purposes. Thanks a lot sanka.

10. Nov 12, 2013 #9
    Not sure if I understand the question. You're saying Noghrehkar used PDF to generate the flow map? I presume he just exported the map from MATLAB in the .pdf file format. Otherwise, I dont know what "PDF" is referring to. In any case, you should be able to generate your own map, provided you obtain the equations that define the transition boundaries. I actually did some similar work, albeit for condensation flow mapping, and had no issues. Although, I had the relevant equations readily available. Also, it might take some practice to get the plotting correct in MATLAB but if you are an experienced user, you should be fine.

11. Nov 12, 2013 #10
    Sorry for the lack of info.. apparantly.. PDF refers to "Probability Density Function" Yeah.. right now I am not able to proceed since i don't have the equation.. :( I'm so glad that you had done something similar. Will be looking for you for advice :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook